Polymer 80 build and Review

Tidewater_Kid

I went ahead and ordered a couple of the Polymer 80 lowers when Midway had them on sale.

Build went fine and everything went together as expected. I like my build, but has a few issues the first time out. Brought it back home and managed to figure it out. I would say that while these are cool as a project, I would just get a factory lower if I had it to do again. I don't quite trust these. I learned a lot from this and how all the parts interact. Great learning experience, but not something I would trust to shoot much.

I ordered a Anderson lower from a LGS and it should be here in a week. When it arrives, I will move my parts over.

It's nice to look at and works 100%. We put about 100 rounds through it today and had no issues.

Attachments

• 2016_06300001.jpg
    2016_06300001.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 2016_06300002.jpg
    2016_06300002.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 75

Tidewater_Kid

So... any comments on the old school look?

It's a Del-ton 20" 1in9 government profile upper and a UTG A2 buttstock.

I wanted something that looked like a retro rifle.

g.willikers

Old School?
Looks normal to me. :)
Like you say, polymer lowers are just fine for the owners who rarely will use their rifles.
When it comes right down to it, that's probably a substantial percentage of AR owners.

smee78

It looks like it came out good. Congrats on the build, I have watched a few videos of the poly80 being finished, I like the Glock builds also.

Tidewater_Kid

Thanks!

g.willikers,

That's exactly why I decided to change it out for a Anderson lower. I don't think the Polymer 80 lower will last long and I didn't want to worry about it. So far it looks fine, but I only have about 120 rounds through it.

The Del-ton upper seems to have good potential and I want to shot it often.

TK

Truckeic

I have built 6 of these and no issues. The company will warranty if anything were to break. The new 150 Gen 2 lowers seem very strong.

Tidewater_Kid

Truckeic,

I think the Polymer 80 lower is strong too. My issues were with the hammer and trigger holes being slightly over-sized. It's almost like the included drill bit was one size too large. It allows too must side to side movement which I'm afraid will only get worse over time.

I purchased a Anderson lower today and installed a Anderson LPK and I'm very happy with the results. I kept the Polymer 80 lower complete so I will try it some more. Time will tell.

TK

Truckeic

I do agree Tidewater, I have been using the captive pins and hope that will work. But, I have not shot mine that much...keep us informed if you have any issues.

Thanks

peggysue

I have a 80% poly lowers from the days when they were bi-color. I made one with a dremel and file. Still have a 2 80% yet.. Kind of neat to have a ghost gun AK receiver. Andersons are cheaper now days. Built a few guns with Anderson lowers. Now working on a Spikes Jack (skull) only $300 $ really cool.

889260d1444046883t-glimpse-my-little-collection-6-ghost-gun.jpg

Last edited:

Tidewater_Kid

Peggysue,

That's a nice looking AR. How long ago did you build it?

I built the Anderson lower Saturday and tried it out at the range yesterday. Put 120 rounds through it. I'm happy. Still need to work on the sights. Still off some.

A couple of new pictures with the Anderson Lower.

Attachments

• 2016_07100001.JPG
    2016_07100001.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 2016_07100002.jpg
    2016_07100002.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

peggysue

Here is one of the EP Armory's 80% unfinished..2014 with a Harden Arms upper.

Nice retro you made.

Attachments

• reciever.png
    reciever.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: