PolyCoated Bullets

Sid

These are advertised as standard lead handgun bullets with a plastic coating. They claim it eliminates the need for lubrication and so leaves a cleaner bore in the pistol. I saw these listed online by King Shooter Supply in Pa.

I would like to hear from guys who have used these bullets and know something about them. TIA

sawdustdad

I've started using Missouri Bullet Company's HiTek coated bullets in .44, .38 and 9mm. No complaints. Slight odor that some find objectionable, but it doesn't bother me.

Wreck-n-Crew

I cast and coat my own. Have thousands of rounds using coated bullets from MBC as well as my own with no leasing. Some are using coated bullets in low power rifle loads bow.

scsov509

I use them quite a bit in 45, 10mm, and 300 blackout and love them. Lets me shoot lead through suppressors without any concern, plus in cartridges like the 10mm and 300 blackout I can get the terminal performance of a hardcast lead bullet without any of the leading concerns.

BillM

Over 5,000 Bayou coated so far. Mix of 9mm and 40, all for USPSA
competition. Clean bore, very little smoke. Was shooting Montana
Gold jacketed---powder charge dropped about 10% for same velocity
with the poly coated bullets.

kealil

I 've been looking at them,
Do you have build up issues in the bore?
How easy is the coating to get out of the bore?

I have shot well over 5000 rounds in various calibers with powder coated bullets (my own cast and coated) and have experienced no build up in the bore. All patches come out clean. I barely even get powder residue anymore.

Bear in mind that there is some evidence of a loss of velocity with coated bullets. I've seen it myself. Usually around 5% loss compared to the same load with standard lubed lead of the same bullet type.

Hammerhead

I use SNS Casting .45 200 grain SWCs in my HK45C. Very nice bullets, very accurate, very little fouling. The barrel cleaned up quick and easy.
200SWCNLG_36044.1408715975.1280.1280__29894.1411534195.220.220.jpg

I tried some .357" powder coated bullets in my 357 but got quite a bit of leading very quickly. Maybe the .358" would have done better.

At SNS you can buy 100 bullet samples packs to try them out.

res45

I cast all my rifle and pistol bullet and have for 20+ years,I've been coating my own bullets for about a year with both epoxy and polymer base powders,I get better coating results using my ES gun than I do using the tumble lube method with air soft BB's.

Before I tumble lubed all my bullets and still do some because it's just fast and easy an my tumble lube mix dries fairly fast and hard and doesn't leave much residue in the seating die over a long period of time,the PC'ed bullets I do leave none.

I like the PC'ed bullet for long term storage as the coating is not effected by either cold or heat like some lubes can be if stored where condition are not always ideal.

I don't have any issues with buildup in my rifle and pistol bores using lubed lead so naturally the PC'ed bullet are just as good and have never given me any issues. My main test will come this spring when I start testing the PC'ed bullet in my SKS rifles to see if they leave any residue in the gas system. With regular lubed lead you can get some buildup over time on the face of the gas piston we shall see if that changes with the PC'ed bullets,I suspect it will.

A few bullets I've coated and use.
100_156822_zps923277bf.jpg

mikld

As you can see from the answers above, coated bullets work. I started several years ago shooting Precision's coated (Hi-Tek) bullets in my 1911, then 9mm. I've run mebbe 1,100 though my guns. Also, I have been powder coating bullets for a little over a year. My .44 Magnums, .38 Spec. .357 Mag., 303 British, 7.62x54r really like them (I only tried 16 through my Garand, and saw no residue when I cleaned the gas system). No build up in the bore, no leading, as accurate as any cast bullet, and purty...:D

Wreck-n-Crew

Pogybait : I use dry tumble method and sometimes use powder coat gun and spray them. Dry tumble method using plastic bbs with a little powder coat and shake or tumble them in a plastic disposable type bowl created enough static for a good stick for me.

Only certain powders from harbor freight will tumble like the red, yellow and white I believe. I just use the red. Black will not tumble the flat color is not slick and hard to size compared to the gloss colors.

You can also do a wet tumble using acetone with the powder coat. Let it dry before baking and you have to apply 2 or more coats.

Look at the bullet casting section here at THR or go to http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com for more on powder coating

Clark

I have been shoot the coated Missouri bullets really hard, and the bores look good.

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=20

a) The 120 gr coated 32-20 bullets I am driving 32-20 to the point of the cases stick with H110 in a long barrelled revolver, and the bore looks good. This is a hard test for a cast bullet.

b) The 115 gr carbine bullets I am just doing regular Tokarev loads with Bullseye. The bore looks good, but that is no great test.

I do not cast, but I buy cast bullets.
But I can see the writing on the wall.
At the cast bullet forum there is a whole section of coating.
res45 pic above seems to be part of a new rainbow coalition of bullets.

If the trend continues, we will all be shooting coated cast bullets:)