Poly revolvers

Northrider

I was out in the garage today checking things out and moving guns around and had a question pop up in my head. i have a couple long guns that have poly stocks, and a couple handguns with poly frames and grips. But none of my revolvers are poly. Is there such an animal or have i just not visited enough gun stores?
Just a ? that is occupying my mind on a dark night.

weblance

The Ruger LCR was the first polymer frame revolver. Its been out several years now, and is a proven design. Taurus also has a ploy revolver, but I know nothing about it.

Targa

I just can't get into them. They might be decent and probably are but I will stick with the steel framed offerings.

9x19

Yep, the LCR is an excellent design, and has a better trigger out of the box than any steel J-frame I've ever owned.

Ruger LCR X 2”
RugerLCRXmg_zpsdf04e3ba.jpg

Ruger LCR X 3”
RugerLCRX3_zps38c72443.jpg

Onward Allusion

The only reason I'd get a poly revolver (or semi for that matter) is for the weight. If a poly revolver doesn't weigh less than its steel counterpart, there's not a reason in the world I can think of to justify it for me.

carguychris

Onward Allusion said:
If a poly revolver doesn't weigh less than its steel counterpart, there's not a reason in the world I can think of to justify it for me.
How about the absence of unsightly high-edge frame wear from daily holstering and unholstering?

Polymer is typically the same color all the way through, with no thin exterior finish to wear off. :)

Cheapshooter

If a poly revolver doesn't weigh less than its steel counterpart, there's not a reason in the world I can think of to justify it for me.
You mean like 1 1/2 oz less than the aluminum 642? Or 9 1/2 oz lighter than the stainless steel 640? Not to mention half the MSRP of the 640!

SARuger

I love the way my LCR .38+P handles. I was expecting some kick but its not bad at all. The 9mm and .357 does kick more naturally.

Onward Allusion

You mean like 1 1/2 oz less than the aluminum 642? Or 9 1/2 oz lighter than the stainless steel 640? Not to mention half the MSRP of the 640!

S&W 351C & 43C; ~6.6oz & 3.9oz lighter than its Ruger counterpart in the same caliber, respectively. I alternate them as backup. That's a lot of weight in a coat pocket.

I've been thinking about getting a 38/357 J-frame as a backup and that's 5.7oz lighter than the Ruger, but am reconsidering due to the recoil. 357 recoil from an 11.4oz gun can't be pleasant. :eek:

Onward Allusion

^^^^

PLEASE RE-READ

It's apples-to-apples. 22LR vs- 22LR, 22 Mag -vs- 22 Mag.

As for the 357 -

S&W's Airlite 340PD - 11.4 oz ~ $800 - $900

Ruger LCR in 357 - 17.1 oz ~ $450 - $550

Diff - 5.7 oz

Is 4 oz to 6 oz worth $350? It depends on the individual. For me, I would rather spend the extra dollars and have a lighter backup in my pocket. For others, they may be limited by their budget or don't mind carrying the extra "Smartphone" in their pocket.

Cheapshooter

S&W's Airlite 340PD - 11.4 oz ~ $800 - $900

Ruger LCR in 357 - 17.1 oz ~ $450 - $550

Diff - 5.7 oz

Apples to expensive apples.....For half the price I'll give up 6 ounces for a still light, and reliable plastic revolver.:D

Onward Allusion

Exactly! And that's my point...it's an individual preference. I guess I'm old school when it comes to revolvers. They almost have to be some kind of steel in my mind. For semi's, not so much. Glocks, Sigs, Sigmas, SD's, & even Hi Points are fine by me. Go figure... :)