Poly pistols all the same?

WVfishguy

I recently got back into handguns, and was fascinated by the Glock phenomenon. I was going to get one just to see what the fuss was about. :confused:

Instead, I bought a new S&W .40 cal. Sigma (SW40GVE) from a local dealer. Including tax, it cost $348. Lifetime warranty. Came with two 14-round mags and a carry case.

Got a rebate for $50, plus two new 14-round mags (those are probably $30-$40 each)

That means I got a new poly-gun with a case and four mags for under $300. That's damn-near a Saturday night special price for a new S&W.

QUESTION: Is there really much difference between polymer pistols? Except for differences in trigger pull, aren't they all pretty much the same?

HorseSoldier

Like non-polymer pistols, you get variation in quality of manufacture and variation in the features offered. The ergonomics of one design may work better for a specifiic shooter than the ergos of some other design, etc.

I don't have any personal experience with the Sigma, but it seems to have fans and detractors like most everything else in the gun world. I don't know what good features the fans like or what bad features the detractors complain about, but I have noticed they are definitely priced to move in any case.

Canthros

Steyr makes a plastic gun that's a Glock derivative with modified ergonomics, a rail, a modified take-down procedure and the option of a manual safety and trapezoidal sights. My understanding is that it's mostly a Glock clone. I own one in .40S&W.

Springfield's XD seems to have a higher bore axis, different ergonomics (they advertise their grip as being 'designed for the human hand'), and, IIRC, a different safety system, incl. a grip safety. I don't own one of these, but they seem popular.

There are also a fair number of plastic-framed, hammer-fired guns, like some versions of the Tanfoglio Witness.

All of which is to say, no, it's not just the trigger.

WESHOOT2

absolutely correct: they are all exactly the same

Just like all women are the same, or all cars are the same, or all advice is the same.......

Jermtheory

they're not all the same,but it sounds like you did ok.

i like the Glock and XD(the XD a little more)....not crazy about the Steyr.

those are the only ones i have hands on experience with.

JohnKSa

Administrator
QUESTION: Is there really much difference between polymer pistols? Except for differences in trigger pull, aren't they all pretty much the same?
Yes, it is common knowledge that all you really need to know about a gun is what its frame is made of.

This created real problems in the old days when only carbon steel frame guns were available. The manufacturers had trouble making ends meet because once a user had a gun there was no need in buying another since they were all pretty much the same.

Gun makers began casting about for other frame materials and initially hit upon stainless steel and aluminum. This prompted gun owners to buy more guns since there were now guns available that were really very different from their carbon steel framed guns.

Eventually a couple of adventurous companies (H&K and Glock) found that they could make guns from plastic. S&W and Taurus started making Titanium guns. These discoveries catapulted the more innovative gun makers to the top of the pistol markets. A shooter could now own 5 very different guns, one carbon steel, one plastic, one titanium, one stainless steel and one aluminum. Life is good for both gun owner and gun maker alike.

I should point out that there is at least one alternate theory of gun homogeneity. Some people believe that one should make handgun purchase decisions purely on the basis of what color the pistol is.

Perldog007

All polymer guns are exactly the same. My Hi Points are just as good as USPs'.

Or Glocks. My XD would be as good as the Hi Points if it was American made, not some piece of Croation swag. :D

Some people believe that one should make handgun purchase decisions purely on the basis of what color the pistol is.

I agree, sadly did not acquire a hot pink framed EAA witness before they became unavailable. After that story about the prosecutor going on and on about the "Python" I wondered how much that clown could do with a pink witness.

Oh well, they still make the chipmunk rifle in hot pink.......

sholling

No they are not the same. Just like any steel framed pistol they come with pluses and minuses. Your Sigma is a good reliable pistol. Some folks don't like the Sigma trigger but it will go bang every time, the ergonomics are good and it will probably last a lifetime.

Some like Glocks. They have average reliability (propaganda aside) but horrible ergonomics. Yet some people adapt their style to the design and love them. It's become a religion.

Others like FN, Beretta etc. All have their own personalities. It sounds like you found one you like. Congrats! Shoot it and enjoy it.

WVfishguy

Yes, it is common knowledge that all you really need to know about a gun is what its frame is made of.

This must be true, because of all the people who flatly state "Guns should be made of metal..."

I had a feeling this thread just might generate some discussion. :D

SDDL-UP

Polymer framed guns are absolutely not all the same!

If you love your Sigma or hate it I would not automatically transfer those feelings towards any other polymer framed gun.

Beansie_Time

I have the same Sigma and got it for just about the same deal you did. So far I like it a lot but I have to say if I had the extra 200 bucks or so I probably would have bought the Glock 22 or 23. Like I said the Sigma is good but the Glocks I have fired have just felt a bit better. I think the S&W M&P or Springfield XD is probably on par with the Glock.

Kinda like the Glock is the BMW, the M&P or XD is the Cadillac or Lincoln and my Sigma is the Pontiac that doesn't look or feel too wonderful but gets me to work on time.