Poll: What size 1911 do you carry?

What size 1911 Do You Carry?

• Full size 5" (Gov't style)

Votes: 56 49.6%
  • 4 1/4" Steel Frame (Combat Commander Style)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • 4 1/4" Aluminum Frame (LW Commander Style)

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • 3-3 1/2" Steel Frame (Officers Style)

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • 3-3 1/2" Aluminum Frame (Officers or Defender Style)

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • Other - Combo of above frame and slides

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters

45_Shooter

Just something I was thinking about, since a lot of us carry 1911's. There's a lot of options out there now, just wondering what you guys tote around as far as size goes.

Personally, I've normally got a Gov't model on for most of the year, although in the summer I've got other options like my CCO or snubs that sometimes substitute. The weight and size doesn't really bother me in the 5" guns, so I guess that's why I don't mind.

I usually carry my 4" SA Loaded or my 4.25" Colt Combat Commander. I do sometimes carry my 3" Para Slim Hawg when I am lightly clothed...but not as often now that I am more comfortable with concealing the larger 1911's.

Wasabi

3" Ultra CDP II. I got a great deal on it used. If I would have went new or had a choice, I probably would go with a 4"-4.25" compact model.

blgoode

In the summer I carry a 4" slide on an officer grip. Then I alternate that with a full size and a ltw commander.

hecate

Mostly 5" Wilson CQB, Kimber Compact Stainless once in a while. When I finally get my custom 4.1"/bobtail frame Wilson (Real Soon Now, please, please, please), that one will probably become my permanent carry gun.

Magyar

Since I've been so pleased with the Officer's performance, I'm close to being "weaned" off the 5" model even in the winter...:)

45_Shooter

Wow, I'm really surprised that so many are carrying the larger steel frame guns, I kinda thought I was in the minority there!

I thought the aluminum frames would represent a much larger percentage of the poll, as CCW is one of their primary purposes, and they do quite well in it.

I forgot some of the 'commander' size guns are 4" instead of 4.25", but I can't edit the poll to add that detail, so please treat it as "4-4 1/4" instead of just 4 1/4, sorry about that.

Kreyzhorse

I carry a 5" steel 1911. I was surprised how well, despite the weight and length, that a full size 1911 functions as a CCW. Very easy to hide.

wjkuleck

SW1911SC, plus have an early Colt Commander (LW) with Garthwaite for a Garthwaite Gold Bead front sight installation and a YoBo retro rear sight.

Nice to have choices.

Regards,

Walt

WoofersInc

It will depend on the weather and what I am wearing. Here in Vegas we go from 110 in the summer to sometimes 30's-40's in the winter. I have my choice from 3 inch up to a 6 inch longslide. Right now due to the heat it is a Kimber SIS Ultra. Once it cools down and I can layer some I will go back to a Kimber SIS Custom or my Kimber Tactical Custom II