Poll - What make revolvers have you owned?

Which brand double action revolvers have you owned?

• Smith&Wesson Only

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • Colt Only

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Ruger Only

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • S&W and Colt Only

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • S&W and Ruger Only

Votes: 75 24.4%
  • Colt and Ruger Only

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • S&W, Ruger, and Colt

Votes: 129 42.0%

• Total voters

KyJim

I suspect that a lot of people who state a strong preference for a particular brand of revolver have ONLY owned that brand revolver. Of the three major brands of double action revolvers, which have you owned?

Coastal

All the above plus: High Standard, Iver Johnson, Rossi, Harrington & Richardson, Charter Arms and I'm sure others that I can't remember right now.

Smaug

Neat idea for a poll, Jim.

I've owned 2 S&Ws: a police trade-in 64 (38/357) and a lightly-used 29 (8-3/8" barrel 44 Magnum)

I currently own 2 Rugers, a 3" SP-101 in 357 and a 7-1/2" Redhawk in 44 Magnum. I prefer the Rugers. Their triggers are not as smooth as the Smiths, but I have much more peace of mind with them because I know they're going to hold together better. (barring any manufacturing defects ;) )

They're less likely to injur me in the event of a reloading error (speaking for experience) and their triggers are not hard to improve. the modern, modular design is brilliant.

I'm not opposed to owning another S&W, but it would most likely be used and I would not shoot many (if any) heavy loads through it.

I shot about 75/25 ratio of Magnum/Special ammo through my 29. The frame screws were always loosening up on me. Made me wonder about other things loosening up that aren't as obvious as frame screws.

The cylinder on my 64 was very hard to open; almost as if the latch wasn't working right.

Smiths & Colts are just old-fashioned designs. For better (smooth actions) or worse. (not as durable as modern designs)

Sgt.Fathead

Your poll is rather limited. Harrington and Richardson, Taurus, Smith and Wesson and Ruger, in that order. Now, I have just the one H&R, too old and dear to shoot, and a stable of working, reliable Rugers.

hanno

My wheel guns are all S&W with the only exception being the funky Nagant (hey, for $50 shipped, it seemed like a good idea at the time and it does have a certain ugly cool factor).

Pappy John

I have owned S&Ws, Rugers, and H&Rs, and still have examples of each, with a definite preference for and a larger quantity of Smiths in the safe. I have shot a few Pythons and admired the workmanship with which they were put together, but didn't like the trigger feel....seemed to stack much more than any Smith I ever fired. That and the "pay for the pony" price has kept me from owning any Colt revolvers.

gordo_gun_guy

I've only owned S&W and Colt....but there are at least two Rugers I'm interested in, as well as USFA, Freedom Arms, and someday an antique Merwin and Hulbert....

Last edited:

Laz

Based on the options, I had to say S&W and Ruger only, but I have owned those two plus Rossi and Taurus. Have never owned a Colt revolver or a Dan Wesson.

22-rimfire

Your poll certainly covers the majority of what I own and certainly my preferences. When I first started buying DA revolvers, it was Colt Only. Time passes and I try a Smith and like it.... add some Smiths to the pile.... more time and add some Rugers to the pile. Life is good!

CraigC

I've owned a little bit of everything and all the major players offer good guns. For double actions, my preference has always been pre-lock S&W's. Although the old Colt's have an appeal all their own. I'm still kicking myself for not snagging a slicked up Colt 1917 that had been cut to 4", fitted with Micro sights, stag grips and reblued.

KyJim

The reason for the poll is to see how many shooters here actually base their opinions on experience and don't just recommend a particular brand because that's what they have. So far, I'm fairly impressed with the number of shooters who have owned multiple brands. That means most opinions are based on at least some experience.

I limited the poll to what most consider the three top production brand of revolvers. This is not a slap at Taurus and other manufacturers. But, I've never heard anyone say that Taurus (or Rossi or Charter Arms, H&R, etc) made the best revolvers out there. I included Colt, even though Colts are no longer produced because there are a ton of them out there. I also left off a couple of very limited production revolvers like Korth because there are so few as to be meaningless in the grand scheme of things.