polish the feed ramp?

predator86

i was wondering how do you polish the feed ramp on a pistol? is it a job you can do at home or should i have a gunsmith do it? if a gunsmith does it how much does it run on average? the pistol in question would be a berratta 92fs

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I've never seen a 92 that really needed the feed ramp polished. The design has almost straight-line feeding.

What's it doing wrong?

predator86

i dont really know how to describe it but i would call them failure to feeds, the bullet stops halfway in and then the slide runs over the back of the brass resulting in a jam.....the rounds in question are commercial reloads that a friend of mine gave me cuz they wont cycle at all period in his gun....i was wondering if polishing my feed ramp would make a difference...

b.thomas

OK, they won't work in your gun so your buddy gave them to you because they wouldn't work in his gun? :(
could it just be possible that the ammo is junk?:rolleyes:

predator86

i think that the ammo is crap, they jammed after every shot with his gun, in mine im only getting a few here and there...im trying to find out if it is a brass issue because with different headstamps im getting different amounts of issues, winchester brass has been the absolute worst with around 50 stoppages or jams whatever....
R-P has been really good with only one
i'll get 3 here or 4 there so im just curious as to whether or not i can get it to feed good so i can continue shooting, surprisingly the accuracy is really good however......

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
There was an issue not long back with wildly varying rim thicknesses on WWB 9mm brass. Given the fact that it's reloads however, I'd be suspect of COAL issues first...

Generally, if it won't work in a 92 the problem is with the ammo or the mag, not the gun.

SilentHitz

It's not that difficult, but it sounds like it's an ammo problem to me. Like Tamara, I've never seen a 92 that needed it.

Cloudpeak

I'd buy various types of factory rounds and see how they do. No sense in taking a chance on damaging your pistol just so you can try & run ammo that is probably junk and that you won't be buying/shooting again.

Cloudpeak

farnorthdan

Polishing the feed ramp is easy

I polish all my feed ramps....I use my dremel with the soft polish wheel attachment and some metal polish, the dremel attachment kit I bought includes polish and thats what I use. it takes all of about 5 minutes to do. I remove the barrel from the gun and start polishing the feed ramp till it's smooth and shiny. I feel this helps with all loads I run through my guns and certainly can't hurt..........jsut my .02

easyG

I think that if your feedramp truely needs polishing, then you should send your pistol back to the manufacturer, because the gun is defective.

Magyar

Proper ramp-to-throat transition has been nearly eliminated by the integral barrel which leads me to believe that beyond a good cleaning, ramp polishing might make you feel better; but hardly needed.:)

RickB

Doesn't the 92 have an aluminum frame? If the frame has a hard anodized coating, and you polish it off, you will see the feedramp taking a beating from anything other than roundnosed bullets.

kamerer

There's lots of advice here that offers some merit, but before going to any expense at all, chamber-check the ammo.

Take your barrel out, hold it in one hand, and drop a loaded cartridge into the chamber. Does it fall all the way in? Does it then drop back out when you invert the barrel?

If it does both, OK. If it sticks going in or out, or doesn't drop all the way in, you have bad ammo out of spec. Get a micrometer and measure the COL (case over-all length).

This is the main reason many people won't trust reloads they didn't load themselves. Because you can buy a reloading machine, it doesn't mean you can reload ammo. It is a very precise process that requires multiple checks, re-checks, safety measures, etc. If someone can't get the case dimensions right, how do you know they got the charges right without double, light or no-charging one? A light load that leaves a round in the barrel usually means the next round blows up the gun in your face.

WVfishguy

I got in trouble on another forum for telling people to polish feed ramps. :eek:

Some feed ramps are aluminum or other soft metal and can be ruined by an amateur polish job.

predator86

i got through the crappy ammo today so no more crappy ammo!!!! "does happy dance"

im not even saving the brass from this cuz i dont know how many times its been reloaded....it likes all types of factory ammo though:D now i just gotta start getting some hollowpoints through it...

Frank Ettin

Administrator
And I've seen some guns ruined by someone trying to polish a feed ramp that doesn't need it. And ammunition that doesn't work in someone else's gun beside yours is what's called a "clue." Before you go assuming it's the gun, see what happens when you try good quality, brand name commercial ammunition.

karen429

I've never seen a 92 that needed any polishing to make it feed. They feed anything within spec. Very reliable guns out of the box. Your ammo is flawed.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I am not the most experienced handgunner nor auto loading gun owner...
My Ruger P-85 fed well with all factory ammo but them reloads at the range were less than good. I ended up not buying it and just bought less expensive brands of walmart 9mm...
Brent

varoadking

I've seen some guns ruined by someone trying to polish a feed ramp that doesn't need it.

Really? What'd they use - a jackhammer?

A Dremel, a felt wheel and some Flitz will have your feed ramp mirror bright in a flash...