Police trade in: Any experience with the Beretta Storm in .40?

Eric 53

Got a LE trade in Beretta Storm. A nice, pleasant shooting firearm, 100% reliability with two types of hardball (Federal American Eagle 180 grain & Federal Black Pack 165 grain) and also Fiocchi 180 grain XTP hollow points.

Liked it so much I bought another one. This one is in better shape than the first, looks like it's been in storage for many years. In my mind these represent one of the best bargains out there.

Was curious about other's experience not just with this firearm, but other police trade ins in general.

Last edited:

scorpion_tyr

My wife owns a 9mm and we’ve shot hundreds of rounds through it. Been a great gun except the guid rod is plastic and broke a couple of years ago. Easy enough thing to fix, but it make me miss solid metal rods.

Doesn’t effect reliability at all, but the only thing I don’t like about the gun is the safety makes it very uncomfortable to grip the slide for clearing or chambering a round with the safety off.

hammie

Yes there is the "batwing" safety, but for me, it has been more of a quirk than an annoyance.
The plastic guide rod can be remedied. Stainless Steel Guide Rods (ssguiderods.com) offer for the storm, a stainless rod or a nitride finished guide rod. They're about 25$.

scorpion_tyr

Yes there is the "batwing" safety, but for me, it has been more of a quirk than an annoyance.
The plastic guide rod can be remedied. Stainless Steel Guide Rods (ssguiderods.com) offer for the storm, a stainless rod or a nitride finished guide rod. They're about 25$.
Thanks for that link! I’m going to have to check them out! Couldn’t find any when I looked a couple of years ago.

cslinger

Run grease around the rotating lugs. Other than that you should be good to go. The rotating barrel really shines with .40.

veprdude

Most police trade-ins fall into 2 catagories: rarely shot with holster wear and then well used/abused until the PD upgraded. I'd check both types for accumulated rust in hard to get places since they don't seem to be thoroughly cleaned like a non-LEO gun. Some companies like Sig resell trade-ins as "Certified Pre Owned" and probably do a better job cleaning than those you'd get from Classic, AIM Surplus etc.

I highly doubt most police trade-ins have a high enough round count to cause issues that can't be solved by new springs, guide rods, and a thorough cleaning.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy trade-ins if the price was right and it was something I was interested in.