Police officers are only human

redhawk41

The following is an editorial column stemming from an incident where the Laramie Chief of Police apperantly left his sidearm in the restroom of a local restaraunt where it was discovered by another patron.

The text has been dictated faithfully by myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police officers are only human

by Jim Geeting

I’ve been hit in the gut by the same bullet, I waxed nostalgic and grinned in fraternal benevolence last week when I read of the chief of police in Laramie leaving his gun behind in the bathroom at a local eatery. It seems he used the restroom and left his gun there when he went back to work. Another patron found it and reported it, whereupon officers quickly recovered the weapon and returned it to the boss without incident. The report was that the chief wrote himself a reprimand and it was accepted by the City Council.

While most cops who’ve been there will never admit it, the number of professional and otherwise well-disciplined peace officers who’ve left their sidearm behind would amaze you. If they were lucky, no one but their spouse or partner found out. But, as you can now see, should the press to find out, the public embarrassment of being featured in the paper, can stop the heart and humiliate them like nothing else.

On its surface, it might appear to the lay person that for a police officer to misplace or forget his sidearm might be the epitome of unprofessional conduct. It is not. It is an unintentional human failure. It happens. Fact is, I always considered myself a good cop as did, I hope, those I served and those I served with.

Guess what?

Once I had an occasion to receive a panicked call from my wife at home, a few minutes after leaving for work. She asked if I was …uh… missing something?

Or, there was the time I had just finished breakfast in a busy restaurant with three other troopers when one looked over at me, leaned over and quietly whispered, “Hey dumb$^%$, where’s your gun?” Knowing by his tone my holster was empty, I rapidly left for home without even looking down.

There was also one occasion where, indeed, my gun was properly secured in its holster, but …uh… the bullets were, uh, back on my reloading bench at home! Using proper gun cleaning safety precautions the night before, I had removed my magazine and the round in the barrel and had placed them in another room, forgetting to reload my weapon when I placed it back in my gun lock-up for the evening.

Next day, I retrieved my gun and placed it in its holster, again spacing out the step of reloading. I discovered my empty, and thus useless, weapon after making three traffic stops that next day. I shivered in a moment of terror in the privacy of my patrol car as I quickly removed a spare magazine from my magazine pouch and slipped it until I heard the solid and oddly reassuring “click” of the magazine lock. I racked one into the pipe and again, drove home without passing go to get my extra ammo. No one ever knew about this until, well, just now. You have an exclusive.

Before you judge me or, the chief, remember that I’ve stressed over and over again one simple truth about cops. No matter their rank, standing, seniority or popularity, the sad truth is that cops are recruited from the human race. All of them – even the brass. As humans, things happen. Imperfections. Flaws.

In law enforcement, like any other calling, these imperfections of the human mind are always lurking nearby. Like the surgeon who leaves an instrument inside a patient or amputates the wrong limb. Like the prosecutor; who vigorously and maniacally puts away a man for murder who never stops screaming from the mountain tops he is innocent; only, to find out three years after he is executed that he was telling the truth.

Finally, remember this: In my case, I prepared for work, had bullets in place, donned my ballistic armor and went out the door to protect you, approximately 5,000 times. I forgot my gun twice. I forgot my ammo, once.

While I (nor, I assume the Chief of the Laramie Police Department) am not particularly proud of these shortcomings, I humbly hold them out there in the light of day, for all to see. I claim my imperfect membership in the family of man and ask the public to keep this perspective in mind when judging anyone who would lay down his life, for yours.

Jim Geeting is a retired Wyoming state trooper and author: Visit http://jimgeeting.com

Source: Rock Springs Daily Rocket-Miner, Tuesday and Wednesday Dec. 27 & 28, 2005, page 1B, Editorial column "The Badge" by Jim Geeting

bclark1

very well written. and true. it's important to learn from mistakes, but it's possible to do so without taking a condescending or demeaning tone. all being human, there will be some bad eggs as many people note too, but i really don't think there are more than a handful of cops, or soldiers, or any other public servants who went into their vocation without good intentions, and i think they deserve a break as much as (if not more than) anyone else out there. i've definitely had bad experiences with police - i've been screwed with big fines for what i considered to be menial car violations, been sworn at for no reason besides having been a fun-loving (but surprisingly sober on that occasion) college student walking with friends, among other things. but the vast majority of cops i've known, in several states, are really good people, so they'll always have the benefit of the doubt in my mind.

redhawk41

Here is the news story:

News Story Published On 12/22/2005

Chief leaves loaded gun in restaurant

BY ANGELA BROOKS
Boomerang Staff Writer

Laramie Police Chief Bob Deutsch said yesterday he violated department policy by leaving his police-issued handgun in the restroom of a downtown restaurant last month.

Deutsch said he mistakenly left the loaded gun — a .40-caliber Glock pistol — in the restroom of Jeffrey’s Bistro Nov. 29. He didn’t realize the weapon was missing until a police officer returned it to him later that day.

“When I walked out of the restroom, I forgot it,” Deutsch said Wednesday. “There are no excuses. Personally, I think that’s a serious violation of policy.”

Deutsch said he was eating lunch at the restaurant when he decided to use the restroom. He placed the gun on a countertop in the bathroom, leaving it inside its holster.

A customer later found the gun and contacted a restaurant employee, who in turn called police. Officers traced the weapon back to Deutsch and returned it to him about 30 minutes after he left the restaurant.

“The (police officer) came to my office, closed the door and handed it to me,” Deutsch said. “I was very embarrassed and apologetic. I immediately e-mailed the entire department, saying I made a mistake.”

Deutsch estimated the gun was left unattended in the bathroom for no more than a couple minutes.

There was no safety lock on the Glock pistol, which is the department’s standard weapon.

After learning about the mistake, Deutsch said he issued himself a written reprimand, which is considered a low-level form of discipline.

He then contacted City Manager Mark Collins, who signed off on the reprimand.

Collins declined to comment on the matter Wednesday, citing employee confidentiality concerns.

Deutsch said he violated a portion of department policy that says “personnel shall not abuse or misuse Laramie Police Department equipment.” The reprimand would be recorded in his personnel file with the city, he said.

If the incident were to ever occur again, Deutsch said it would be grounds for suspension.

Deutsch said there would be no investigation into his actions.

“There was no need for (Collins) to investigate and to write up a reprimand for me,” Deutsch said. “I figured I could take care of that myself. It’s a pretty straightforward incident.”

Deutsch, who became police chief in February, said he would have recommended a similar punishment for any other police officer in his department. He said it was the first time in his 33-year career that he misplaced his gun.

“I hold myself to the same level of scrutiny and the same level of discipline as my staff,” Deutsch said. “I believe in complete transparency. If I make a mistake, I’m going to let everybody know.”

Laramie resident Tim Hale, who confronted the Laramie City Council about the incident Tuesday, said it was a public safety issue that could have become a legal nightmare for the city.

“We all know what could happen if, God forbid, a kid walked into the bathroom and thought it was a play toy,” Hale said.

Council members didn’t discuss the matter during the meeting and referred all questions to Collins.

The violation appears to be an isolated incident.

About 15 years ago, Deutsch said a Laramie police officer left his department-issued gun in visible sight inside his car. Someone broke into the vehicle and stole the gun, and the officer was reprimanded.

Deutsch said he was unaware of any case since then where an officer was reprimanded for misusing a weapon.

“Sometimes you get distracted,” Deutsch said. “There’s so much going on and you make mistakes. Yet you take responsibility for your mistakes. That’s what I expect of my staff and that’s what they expect of me.”

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/news/archivemore.asp?StoryID=104475

redhawk41

When any of us makes a mistake we have two choices: blame ourselves or blame someone else.

I give kudos to Mr. Deutsch for not blaming someone else.

Sir William

I left my Colt Trooper MKIII locked up at the jail more than once. One old sergeant had two negligent discharges in the same night. New holsters and oldtimers didn't mix well. I also lost three batons in my career. I even lost my badge once.

Hunter Rose

this wouldn't bother me in the slightest, except for the number of LEO Brass that insist that private citizens shouldn't be allowed to carry a handgun. But I'll give credit where it's due: he DID admit that he made a mistake!

USAPatriot

A little humiliation now and then is a good thing. It keeps us humble, our arrogance in check. More cops could use a taste of humility, but unfortunately that's not in their psychological makeup. But, that's what it takes to be able to deal with scum day in and day out. Best we can hope for is that they do a good job and minimize the negative impact to the rest of us.

His humiliation is small potatoes compared to what might have happened had it not been an honest citizen that found the sidearm. -Rod-

Harley Quinn

Personally I find it down right negligent.

Sure he made it sound good and all but I just find it to be a major no no.
Like he said the next time will be a suspension.

First time should be a suspension, next time work the desk for awhile (wait that is what he does) then it should be retirement.

Kinda like leaving your kid or dog in a hot car and forgetting about him. Pretty bad.
Should have checked his blood alcohol level. Sounds like he needs a babysitter.

No slack on this one sorry.

Harley

k9lwt

He made a mistake and he took his medicine like a man. Sounds like a boss that leads by example to me.

Harley-next time you make a mistake (lock your keys in your car, forget your id at home, oversleep) are you are going to (walk) report immediately to the nearest police station, admit your mistake, and get your BAC tested? Makes sense, right? Let's not assume he was drunk because he made a mistake-people do make mistakes-even superhuman chiefs.