Police/Govt. Markings on Resold Handguns

TenRing

At some recent gun shows, I saw some nice handguns that were evidently police trade-ins or guns previously carried by police or federal officers. By whatever means, these guns end up on the civillian market with police shield markings, officer names or initials or other ID engraved into the frames.

I wanted to buy a Smith & Wesson model 28 that looked clean except for the police shield stamped into the frame. This might sound petty but I'm not a police officer and if somebody noticed me carrying this gun they might get the idea that I obtained it illegally and I don't want to be accused of impersonating an officer. I don't know how to remove these markings without ruining the gun but the prices seem right for shooter grade handguns.

How do you feel about this and would you buy a handgun that had police or federal government markings? What about a gun that had someone's name engraved into it?

jmr40

There are plenty of them out there and there is little chance of being wrongly accused by anyone who knows what they are doing. The SN would easily prove who owns the gun. They actually have a little collectors value because some people will seek them out to have examples of guns previously owned by various depts.

carguychris

...if somebody noticed me carrying this gun they might get the idea that I obtained it illegally and I don't want to be accused of impersonating an officer.
Don't worry about it. Anyone who knows much about used handguns knows that police department trade-ins are commonplace.
How do you feel about this and would you buy a handgun that had police or federal government markings?
As jmr40 said, it may add some extra collectible value if the markings identify the agency that used it. OTOH anonymous markings (such as inventory numbers) will usually hurt the value somewhat, although not by much if it's a beat-up shooter-grade gun.
What about a gun that had someone's name engraved into it?
Same effect as anonymous markings. It's also somewhat dependent on how large and prominent the markings are.

FWIW I got a great deal on a shooter-grade S&W Model 10 because a former owner had clumsily engraved his or her initials in the sideplate ("G.F.D."). IT's ugly but it shoots just fine. :)

SatCong

As a collector and shooter, retired police guns hold some interest for me. I have a P7-PSP German police pistol and an immaculate M-10 nickle 5" from the Detroit Police Dept.
You know these guns came with some history, I find that fact interesting.

SatCong

Tom2

People ask a premium for the Royal Hong Kong Police marked Smiths. You would have to do alot to impersonate a Chinese policeman, I would assume. Most police tradins I have seen have small stampings on the frames, like the initials of the dept. Not gigantic marks at all or noticeable till you look real close. Except for the OSP marked Berettas. Those were sold surplus and the OSP marks are pretty promenant on those .40s. I would think they would maybe be devalued due to the fact that they got rid of them for reliability complaints, but the sellers act as if it were a plus for value anyway. I for one am allergic to 40s and DAO service autos so I don't care what they are marked as.

tipoc

As there are a few million such guns out there on the used gun market * I would not worry about it. Removing the markings would harm the looks and resale value of the weapon. If the matter concerns you simply pass on that gun and leave it for someone else.

*Yep millions. First consider the hundreds of thousands of various service sidearms used by the U.S. military over the generations which entered the used market (1911s, S&W and Colt revolvers, etc.). Next the many police Depts. and other agencies state, local and federal (Forest service, Post Office, FBI etc.) who released their out of date weaponry to the market for several generations. Now consider the retirees who kept their weapons after leaving service and when they no longer had no use for them passed them on. Etc., etc. There are also the one from other countries as well.

tipoc

B.N.Real

If you are that worried about it ,keep a copy of your purchase reciept in your wallet and simply tell anyone that asks that the gun was stamped that way when you bought it used.

I own a Smith Model 10 38 special that has Baltimore City Police stamped on the backstrap and it's one of the finest handguns I've ever owned.

I bought it used for $225.

Other police handguns get shot very little and are some of the best deals anywhere.

I would'nt pass up a great deal because of the lettering.

orionengnr

My M66 has "SD Sheriff" stamped into the frame. It has some history, I'm sure, but more importantly it is one of the best-shooting revolvers I own.
Although I'm not crazy about stainless, I'd have a hard time letting this one go.

TenRing

Thanks for the replies. Based on this feedback, I won't worry about it. Next time I see a model 27 or 28 in good shape, I will acquire it. I know a lot of 27s and 28s were used by police departments during the revolver era. The 28 that I saw was going for $275 with a few scratches, a Chicago PD shield and somebody's initials so it definitely had history. It was tight and in good shape and I should have bought it. I will know what to do next time. Thanks. Doggonit, that was a good deal.:eek: I'm planning to use it as a shooter and maybe a nightstand gun and possibly an addition to the RV.

Deaf Smith

Like SatCong, I like the idea of some guns having an interesting history to them. I have a CS-1. That is, a U.S. Customs Smith 686 3 inch .357 magnum. And I've seen many at pawn shops from PDs around the country.

stickhauler

Having police department markings on a pistol is pretty much like seeing a 1911 marked "United States Property." Nobody would think you were a soldier if they saw you carrying one unless you happened to be decked out in a military uniform.

T. O'Heir

"...don't want to be accused of impersonating an officer..." The handgun doesn't do that. Anymore than owning a Nazi marked FN made BHP makes you an SS member.
"...the revolver era..." Long ago, now. Forget about it.
"...unless you happened to be decked out in a military uniform..." Even then. Lots of W.W. II re-enactors out there. Lots of current BDU's around too.

Murdock

I'm not a police officer and if somebody noticed me carrying this gun they might get the idea that I obtained it illegally and I don't want to be accused of impersonating an officer.

Keep the receipt. :D

Your concerns are unfounded, although understandable.

I own two. I think they have a little extra value to me b/c of the "history," even more than a NIB gun. At least if they are in good shape.

I always look for police trade ins b/c the price is right, condition is usually good, and the extra history.

Might buy a Detroit police department G22 in the near future.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I strongly recommend keeping the sales slip and/or police papers* on every gun you buy, especially handguns. It is not impossible that there might be confusion with a stolen gun, something that can happen easily on guns like the Luger, where very few owners or even dealers properly record all the necessary information (maker, date, serial number and suffix).

You should also keep the sales slip or any other information on the buyer if or when you sell or trade the gun.

*For states where there is a police check or license needed; this is better than a sales slip since it proves the police checked out the gun and OK'd it.

Jim

BillD

Here in New Zealand we like handguns with US and European police markings. It's kinda groovy to know it's been carried somewhere different. Usually we like our guns to be new, no scratches etc, but if they are used we like 'em really used.

Sport45

I don't want to be accused of impersonating an officer.

I wouldn't worry about that unless you are wearing a badge of some kind as well. The only people who should be seeing the markings on your firearm are those who you chose to show it to. I don't expect you'll be flashing the thing around strangers, right?

dabigguns357

i've had a few over the years and most are really tiny until i got my newest G22.It's a gen 2 Glock 22 that has the barrel,slide,and plate all marked with Bexar Co Sheriff's office.The slide is marked so big that it can be read from across the room "Property of Bexar County".Actually i find it rather overdone and gaudy.I got this gun from summitgunbroker for a heck of a deal(300.00) and 3 mags,box and papers to boot.I do carry it but now that i have modified it,i find that it adds more to the gun.Besided i aint ever going to sell it,not that anyone would actually want either.

It's the top left glock with a stainless slide.

005-2.jpg

stevieboy

Check out the S & W Forum. There are whole threads over there devoted to collections of guns issued by specific law enforcement agencies.

pelo801

i would like to have a gun with police markings. like said above, to some it adds to collector value. kinda like having military markings on a firearms. the gun has history, maybe been in a shoot out, probably not, but it still was carried by some one who served their country or state. i think it's cool.