POI/POA w/ 135gr .357 Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel

zoomie

Anyone know how the POA of the 135gr .357 Speer Gold Dot SB compares to 158gr .357? My SP101 shoots POA with the full power 158, I'm hoping it will be at least close with the GDSB. Any experiences?

Mal H

Staff
In general when you use a lighter bullet and therefore usually a faster one, the POI will be lower on the target than the POI of a heavier bullet out of the same gun. This is due to the bullet leaving the barrel before it has risen as far as with the heavier bullet due to recoil.

However, there are so many variables involved that there is no way to predict how much lower or even if indeed it will be lower in your case. Only by firing the different rounds can you tell for sure. If pressed for an answer without testing, I would take a SWAG at 1 to 2 inches lower at 25 yards for the bullets you are talking about (and using a rest since a 1 to 2 inch variation can easily get lost in the group at 25 yards off-hand).

zoomie

Thanks. My 135gr GDSB ammo just came off the brown Christmas truck. I'll post my results when I get to the range. Maybe somebody else will benefit.

jetman

I just bought a box of Speer .38 +P 135 grain Gold Dot hollow points. Nowhere on the box does it mention "short barrel"... and when I asked the guy at the gunshop all I got was one of "those looks"... and said he had never heard of one named that, but they were 135 grain +P .38 special. I bought them, but are there 2 different 135 gr. +P Gold Dot loads ???? short barrel and standard ??

unit 900

There is no special designation for the short barrel ammo on the box. The 135 gr. GDHP +P is all the box will say.

DonR101395

There is no special designation for the short barrel ammo on the box. The 135 gr. GDHP +P is all the box will say.

I must have got a case of mis-marked boxes. They all say short barrel on them:confused:

zoomie

As you picked up on I'm sure, there are two types, Jet Man. I guess they're relatively new for 38+P (introduced in '04). But... only the short barrel 38+P comes in 135gr. The standard 38+P is 125gr. Others (like 9mm) have the same bullet weight (124gr) in standard and short barrel.

With that said, my .357 box is marked "short barrel."

Every picture I can find does not list short barrel on the 38+P, though.

DonR101395, was yours .38+P?

DonR101395

You're correct Zoomie, it was bugging me so I called the wife and had her look at the box. It's the .357 that was marked short barrel. The 38+P wasn't.

Last edited:

jetman

I see on the Speer link they list a +P .38 in 125gr as "standard" and the short barrel load is the 135gr. My box doesn't list "short barrel" either. Thanks for the input guys

Diggers

Hummmm....I believe the bullet has hit he target before your hand has moved the gun due to recoil.

Could there be another reason?

44 AMP

Staff
Recoil

Recoil begins as soon as the bullet starts moving. The gun (and your hand) do move slightly before the bullet has left the barrel. It is not enough to be sensed by the shooter, but it does happen. So nearly all lighter bullets will strike lower than heavier ones. The amount varies with velocity, and the individual gun, so no prediction can be exactly correct. Only shooting will tell you the true difference.