POI change

chris in va

I've had my custom CZ 97b for a while now, has the 1911 bushing conversion. Yesterday I was shooting my usual mild reloads when it suddenly started grouping 5" left at 10 yards. At first I thought possible flinching but my P01 was dead on.

Last night I scrubbed the heck out of the barrel with chore boy and got a mirror finish, tried again today with a few other recipes and bullet grains.

They're all shooting left. My sights are fine, tight and haven't moved. I don't see anything cracked or bent.

I emailed Cajun Gun Works but thought I'd ask on here what could cause such a drastic POI change.

EDIT: Found the problem. Slide is broken in a thin spot.

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
Yup, I was going to say that something broke but you figured it out on your own.

So the break is where the slide was modified during the conversion? That means CZ isn't going to help...

chris in va

Update, it wasn't the little bridge after all. The slide itself broke where the rail meets at the bolt face, there's a nice crack right across that spot.

This gun has cost me twice what I paid for it in repairs.

chris in va

I don't know what to do. Broke two barrel lugs, two barrel bushings and now this. My P01 is perfect, this thing is like an old Alfa Romeo.

chris in va

CZ did get back to me and said the same thing, apologized but discontinued and probably irreparable. David at CGW wants me to send it in so we'll see.

Classic12

I don't know what to do. Broke two barrel lugs, two barrel bushings and now this. My P01 is perfect, this thing is like an old Alfa Romeo.

I fully understand the analogy. This was my second car when I was 21. Tons of charm and performance, but an utterly unreliable POS.

8fa67a99b7182b5751cd8e518d870c21.jpg

JohnKSa

Administrator
Interesting. On my CZ75B, there's a smooth radius where the slide rail merges into the breechface. That should prevent cracking at that location unless there's a flaw in the steel or the design simply over-stresses the material.

I don't have a 97 to look at, is it radiused too?

chris in va

It looks like there is no radius there, just right angles where it cracked. The 97 was never really designed as a 'service' gun like the excellent P01 I have, just filler for the US market. This is evident after two broken barrels and now this.