Pocket Pistols .380ACP or 2 inch .38 Special

Hard Ball

If your only carry pistol had to be either a .380ACP automatic or a 2 inch .38 Special revolver which would you choose and why?

xrocket

.380auto over .38sp.

Well Hardball, that would be the .380auto.

No disrespect toward a small frame .38sp, the auto's just work better for me. I carry either a Seecamp .380 loaded with seven flat-nose hardball or a Sig P232 loaded eight of the same. The pistols carry smaller, flatter and lighter than a J frame revolver and are much quicker to reload.

I would not feel underarmed with any pocket pistol or revolver in .380auto or for that matter 38sp., the .380's suits me better.

hoytinak

I prefer the auto just due to the thickness. I've tried the j-frame but it's just too thick and bulky for me. Now I pocket either my Seecamp or LCP and couldn't be happier with either.

TDrift

I carry SW642 for my backup. Based on my senior officers' advise and reliability of revolver for "Oh ****" gun.

P.S. my opinion is based on as a law enforcement officer's prospect and usage because I am a cop.

Creature

Without hesitation or reservation, I would choose the 2" snub. The simplicity, power, and reliability of a pocket revolver beats a pocket semiauto in my book hands down. Most small pocket semiautos are tricky to operate and finicky about ammo at best. A revolver is point and shoot...period.

Since you specified it was for carry and it was the only gun I would have I will go with the .380 because of added capacity and slimmer and easier to conceal profile. :)

cerberus65

I have both an NAA Guardian .380 and a j-frame S&W (model 60, .357mag). I haven't tried to carry either yet (SC seems to take the full 90 days to process CWP applications). But my impression is that the Guardian will be more concealable because it will fit in my pocket. I don't have big enough pockets to put a j-frame in there. But I shoot the j-frame better and I enjoy shooting it more.

If you can conceal a j-frame I'd go that route. The .380's that are smaller than a j-frame all have very short sight radiuses so they have a shorter effective range.

Neoniner23

What are the bullet characteristics out of these guns? A .38 is probably not too powerful out of a 2" barrel. Than again, the .380 isn't much of a walloper itself out of sub 3" barrels. Still though, if forced to decide, give me the ultra reliable J-frame for the defense of my life.

arizona98tj

I don't have big enough pockets to put a j-frame in there.
Maybe it is time to switch clothiers. <just kidding>

I believe I have average sized hands and I can say that both my holstered J-frame and my hand fits in the same pocket at the same time. ;)

air-11.jpg

As for velocity loss from a 2" J-frame,.38 Special 130gr. WWB ammo goes across the chrono at 792 fps while the same coming out of my 4" Ruger Security Six hits 848 fps. That is, in my opinion, an acceptable loss in velocity.

Dave85

2" .38

Seems to me the .38 Spl. will be more potent, even with the 2" barrel. The .38 also affords much more flexibility in ammunition choice.

rugersp101

the .380 has a lousy track record of stopping power. One of John Dillinger's boys shot a store owner many times during a robbery with a .380 and was killed when he left by the minimally injured store keeper. The .380's extra capacity cannot match the over 50 years proven track record of the .38 special by Law Enforcement personnel. Especially with the FBI load (158 gr. LSWCHP)+P. So with that I'll take a Ruger SP101 and well placed shots anyday.

Erik

"If your only carry pistol had to be either a .380ACP automatic or a 2 inch .38 Special revolver which would you choose and why?"

A 2 inch .38 Special revolver. Concealable, "size efficient," available in a variety of options, reliable, reliable, reliable, and capable of delivering the more powerful of the two catridges.

Sriracha

.380 ACP.

.38 has many advantages, but there would be too many occasions where clothing and weather would prevent me from carrying the .38 snub.

- Sriracha

michael t

If your only carry pistol had to be either a .380ACP automatic or a 2 inch .38 Special revolver which would you choose and why?"

Well when that was my only choice or if again was my only choice I would once more choose my PPK/S Relieable accurate and fits my hand well. I like my KT as a BUG but would never carry just it. PPK/S better at distance and makes 380 a little hotter in FPS over a Kel Tec.
loaded with Corbon DPX or Corbon HP

KyJim

The .38 spl will have more power, especially with a +p load. However, if I had to only pick one, it would be a fairly small .380 because they are thinner. Yes, a revolver is marginally more reliable, but semi-autos are also very reliable provided you have checked the gun out with the particular ammo you plan on shooting. BTW, I own and carry both .38 snubbies and .380s.

fisherman66

One of John Dillinger's boys shot a store owner many times during a robbery with a .380 and was killed when he left by the minimally injured store keeper.

Bullet design has come a long way in the last 70 years.