pocket carry 9mm?

almark

First off, this is my first post (well, second post, first started thread) and I just want to say that I've learned a lot in months of lurking here, and I'm looking forward to learning even more in the future!

That said, I'm hoping to get my CCW in a few months and I'm in the market for a semi-auto. I had originally thought of the Bersa Thunder 380, but after thinking it over I've decided that I'd really be more comfortable with at least a 9x19. Ideally I'm looking for a reliable, reasonably priced semi-auto that I would be able to keep in the pocket of a light jacket. I'm currently considering the keltec p11 and springfield armory XD9 or XD40 with 3" barrel. I was just wondering what you all would suggest. Some of the Kahrs look nice, but they're probably a bit out of my price range (judging by msrp anyway)... I'm thinking < $500 range if possible... So, any ideas on a 9mm or higher caliber that could easily be hidden in a jacket pocket?

Thanks in advance! :)

arp415

I would look at the prices on the k9 p9, km9 and pm9. For what you can get them for you can definitly hit your budget. Also do be afraid to go used. It can be just as good and a lot cheaper.

michael t

What kind of pockey you going to put the Springfields in. The Kahr 9mm are the best for buck. Kel Tec 9mm seems to work but Ive heard people complain about long trigger pull. I never belived it was that bad,myself.
I would come up with a few bucks more and get the Kahr.

2002gti

i picked up a used black stainless pm9 off gunbroker for $479, love the little piece. one of my favorate shooters

chris in va

The P11 is interesting. I'm wearing one right now actually. It's thin, light, holds 10+1 and has fired flawlessly after 300 rounds (which isn't much, but not bad). Suprisingly the thing fits my large hands with the additional mag finger extension.

A couple things, the trigger pull is pretty darn hard...and long. I mean it fires almost to the grip, and the reset is all the way forward. No fast firing on this gun. Think DAO revolver. Also it's advised to 'fluff and buff' the various machined parts as it makes things smoother. Not hard to do, just a little dremel work. I found those thin sanding discs to work well.

So if you can get used to the long/hard trigger pull and lack of accuracy, it's a decent gun. I only paid $199 on consignment for mine, new ones are going for about $50 more.

I'd get a Bersa Thunder in a heartbeat if it came in 9mm...

almark

Bersa Thunder 9x19...

Actually, they do make a Bersa Thunder in 9x19. In fact, it is smaller than the 380 and holds 10+1! :eek: It looks nothing like the .380 version, and I've never actually seen them in a store, but they're on the bersa website . I don't know how their reliability is, but I may consider them as well (really like the 10+1, too). One of the reasons I was wondering about the 380 to begin with is because of the size, though... a Kahr MK9 is around an inch shorter and I had really intended to do pocket carry, but then, I have no experience here, and the extra inch may mean nothing... any thoughts, anyone? Will a 6.53" x 4.76" x 1.46" pistol with a hammer fit into a pocket and be able to be drawn quickly?

Combat Kenny

P99

Hi,

Have you checked out Walther P99 compacts. I just got mine and I love it. But the price is a bit over 500.

Good luck and happy shooting

I'm not sure I'd consider the K9 a pocket gun, unless you used a tactical pants retention system. They're quite heavy.

The PM9, though? Light, small, and even with hot ammo amazingly easy to control.

andymiesha

I have just finished doing a ton of research on 9mm's, 40's and .45's as I want to get a new carry gun. I have read a lot of reviews and comments on this forum and others and I have physically looked at the Kahr, Taurus Millenium and most of the others mentioned here. If you want small size then Kahr is the one to go with. I was astounded at the small size of these pistols. I like the PM9. Anyway, I decided to go with a Kimber CDPII. I just like 1911 platforms the best. My 2 cents.

mtnbkr

tactical pants retention system
Would that be suspenders AND a belt? :p

The K9 is pocketable if you have decent sized pockets. I wouldn't want to carry it like that for long periods of time, but it works while walking the dog.

Chris

goodshot

I liked my p-11 but traded it for an XD-9. The XD-9 sub compact is not as small/light as the Kel-Tec but the trigger is better and seems to be more reliable. That being said, I carry a Kahr PM40.

tex45acp

I looked at and shot many different makes of 9mm's for pocket carry before settling on the Kel-Tec P-11. I have had a great exprience with this little gun. It is accurate, shoots to point of aim. I have never experienced any malfunctions.....except the human kind where I thought I had a round in the chamber and did not. It's well made and costs less than $250 bucks. It does have two negatives....long shooting sessions will rub a raw spot in the web of your hand and the trigger is not the best. I understand that the trigger can be worked on and made better but I can shoot mine very accurately by concentrating on the trigger pull.

Another great little pocket gun that is relatively inexpensive but not cheaply made is the Taurus Millennium Pro. I have one, a PT-145 in .45acp that is my preferred caliber and it is about the same size as my Kel-Tec. It has taken the Kel-Tec's place as my pocket carry weapon with the Kel-Tec moving to my ankle holster.

skt666

alot of the guns that have been mentioned are far too big for pocket carry(for me atleast) and the only ones i can think of are the pm9, roughbaugh, and maybe the p11. there are many small autos on the market but most are too heavy for the pocket(again, for me) inmo anything over 16oz is just too much for the pocket.

FallenPhoenix

I really like the PM9, but if you buy new be sure to put at least 100 rounds through it to make sure it will function reliably. The one my dad bought was one of the tightest firearms I'd ever seen, refused to return to battery for the first 75rds and would still do it at least once per range session until 100+ rds had been through it.

U.F.O.

IIRC, Kahr even suggests a 200 round break-in period on PM9's. I carry mine in a soft pocket holster and it works fine. Excellent pocket pistol.

U.F.O.

workin_ike

im suprised nobody mentioned the walther ppk or ppk/s...aren't they good guns? thats what i was looking at, not bad price and nice fit for my hand.