Pocket-ability of Kahr pm40

headbangerJD

I am looking into buying a Kahr pm40. I already own a p40, but it isn't small enough to pocket carry. I need a small pistol that is fairly unnoticiable when slipped into my front jeans pocket. I know the pm40 is smaller than the p40, but is it a big enough difference that it will allow me to comfortably pocket carry?

Thanks,

Jd

EastSideRich

I own a PM9, which I believe is a little smaller than the PM40.
For me, it's still a little too big and heavy for pocket carry in a pair of jeans; however, carried IWB, I hardly notice it's there.

orionengnr

I carried a PM9 every day for three years in the front pocket of whatever pants I happened to be wearing at the time. Jeans, khakis, shorts. As long as they're not skin-tight jeans (the 70s/80s are long gone:)) you should be fine.

FWIW, I am 5'9" and 145 lbs. And I now carry a .45 IWB, but the PM9 is in the safe, ready to go for a ride any time.

2cooltoolz

I've never even held a PM40, but it looks to be almost exactly the size as the PM9 and significantly smaller than the P40.

attachment.php

I pocket carry a PM9 daily, with Khakis, cargo shorts, relaxed fit jeans. Not too good with dress slacks or tighter 501 Levi's. Then I grab the LCP.

I wear a good reinforced gun belt which distributes the weight and doesn't pull down on the carry side.

Attachments

• Kahr 40s.jpg
    Kahr 40s.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,137

headbangerJD

I've been having back problems lately, and even my Kahr P40 carried in a good iwb holster attached to my sturdy beltman belt makes my back ache. I absolutely love the Kahr P40, thats why the pm40 is my first choice as a pocket pistol, if it is indeed small enough. I wear blue jeans 90% of the time and i'm also a small guy at 5'7, 145lb. I have my reservations about the bad sights and small calibers of true pocket pistols, so they are not at the top of my list at the moment.

Doc Intrepid

I own a Kahr PM-40 and carry it frequently. It will fit in my jeans pocket and rides there pretty unobtrusively.

But (for me) its difficult to get out of the jeans pocket quickly, especially if you are seated (in a car, restaurant, etc.) I wear Wranglers.

If you wear a pair of baggier slacks, something like khaki Dockers, its a bit easier to access the pistol than while wearing jeans, but sitting still presents issues.

For this reason I generally carry my PM-40 in either the inside pocket of a vest or jacket, or the outer jacket pocket where your hand would naturally rest on it. Its a matter of being able to draw it out instantly if you suddenly face a threat. (You'd hate to be hopping around with your hand stuck in your jeans pocket trying desperately to yank the piece while you're getting jacked by some moron in a dark parking lot....)

YMMV.

B18C5-EH2

I own a PM9 and a PM40:

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5374.jpg

As you can see they are exactly the same size in all aspects except that the PM40 is only .04'' "thicker" if you can even call it that. The PM40 is heavier unloaded and more noticeably when loaded though - you can hand each of them to me with my eyes closed and I can tell which is which by weight.

As far as size compared to the P series well my friend you're in luck. I took some good side by side pics of my PM9 and a CW40 - he CW40 is the exact same size as your P40, so enjoy the comps!

Side by side - note the exact same trigger guard area. Looks like one pistol there, but the slide and grip length variation is seen here:

PM9vCW402.jpg

Difference in length:

PM9vCW403.jpg

Difference in grip height:

PM9vCW404.jpg

Back to back:

PM9vCW405.jpg

I carry the PM9 in a cheapo KNJ nylon pocket holster (I'm at work 10 hours straight) and it goes completely unnoticed in my work cargo pants. I chooe to carry in my front pocket while at work because I'm jumping in and out of cars, and there are three other employees in my shop that are armed. In the face of danger I'd probably already have my hand in my pocket, gripping the pistol ready for a quick draw. Finding/gripping the pistol is the hardest thing about a quick pocket draw for my set-up.

Old Navy loose fit jeans can conceal with the same pocket holster, but truth be told a quick draw from the pocket is not nearly as possible as it is in a good ISWB holster.

If I'm out in public (or basically anywhere but work) the pistol is either in a cheapo ISWB KNJ holster, or believe it or not in my back right pocket in a cheapo KNJ pocket holster. This aids in a very quick draw for the unexpected.

I am 6' 195lbs. slightly slim build and I wear medium sized T-shirts and "loose fit" jeans but by no means baggy fit. Even gun people looking for a pistol will never see a PM series in an ISWB holster where I carry it - 12:10 position.

I'll be carrying the PM40 instead (the PM9 is actually my wife's) after I've properly broken it in. Again it's the same size but only heavier. It will be much more pocket-able than a P40 for sure. Hopefully the pics better illustrate that.

headbangerJD

Thanks B18

Your pics have helped tremendously. I thought the PM series was a lot smaller than the regular P series, but it doesnt look significantly smaller, not small enough for pocket carry in my jeans anyway. It looks like I might have to go too plan B, a Micro Desert Eagle in 380. Thanks again for the great pics.

B18C5-EH2

Weird I thought the pics might illustrate how much more pocket-able the PM series is...

:confused:

Yes the differences are not staggering, but for pocket carry the grip length makes a big difference.

I won't go so far as to say the PM is a "pocket" pistol because IMO it's not really. I think a true pocket pistol would be the smallest .32 ACP or .32 NAA/.380 auto pistol you can find.

Have you thought about the Kahr P380?

mdtl_p3833vspm9.jpg

DAdams

PM 9/40 at 16 ounces plus is a marginal pocket carry more due to weight than size IMO.

Get yourself a S&W M&P 340 revolver 5 rounds of .357 Magnum, 13.3 ounces, night sights.

Mika Roundcut pocket holster.

Walk on.

P1010010-2.jpg

headbangerJD

I got lucky yesterday and came across a used Seecamp LWS 32 at my local gunstore. This gun is not only seemingly perfect, but its also exactly what I was looking for.
Gun love is in the air
:D:D