Pocket .380 ACP w/ physical safety.

OEF-Vet

My mother is looking to get a pocket SD weapon in .380 ACP . She loves the Ruger LCP but doesn't care for the fact that it has no physical safety.

What quality weapon of similar design has at least a backstrap safety and has available trigger guard mounted crimson trace.

As you can tell she is very specific about what she wants, I just need to find it.

Thanks for your help.

vyse.04

The Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 has a safety, as well as a built in laser. The laser grip .380s shouldn't be hard to find, but something with a safety will because of the already long DA trigger.

Furminator

To my recollection, no pocket pistol has a backstrap safety.

In addition to the others mentioned, The Bersa Thunder CC has a manual safety. You could buy an aftermarket laser for it.

Most of these pocket rockets use their long, heavy trigger pulls as a safety. You're not going to accidentally shoot someone with some of those trigger pulls.

going_home

Kimber Solo

ATW525 said:
Sig P238 has a manual safety and the Crimson Trace LG-492 is available for it.

The P238 is a real sweet gun.

For around $100 more you can get a Kimber Solo if she doesnt mind stepping up to 9mm. It has a manual ambidextrous safety, the P238's safety is for right handed shooters only.

;)

hellomcfly

For around $100 more you can get a Kimber Solo if she doesnt mind stepping up to 9mm. It has a manual ambidextrous safety, the P238's safety is for right handed shooters only.

The P238 comes ambidextrous now too.

OEF-Vet

Thanks for the help guys.

She really likes the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380
vyse.04 suggested and is on the way to Gander Mt to check it out.

I might just pick one up for myself as my FN P9 is sometimes a little big for comfortable cc.

checkmyswag

The P238 does seem pretty cool, but is way heavier than an LCP or BG380.

I'd say go BG380, just don't expect anything out of the laser.

khegglie

Vet if she hasn't yet I suggest she try shooting a Bodyguard/LCP/P3at sized 380 first.......they can be uncomfortable to shoot.

IMightBeWrong

Just my opinion, but I think the blowback operated .380s are still the best pistols in their class. For a pocket pistol I'm going to say the PPK would be my choice. If I were going away from that platform, I'd grab a SIG P238.

rob i

i have a 238 and an lcp. They both carry very easily in the pocket. The 238 is heavier, but it's not that noticeable in the pocket.

9mm

I would go with the SIG, I know its $500~$600 but worth it, metal gun not plastic. I heard some bad things with S&W 380 body guard when it came out, triggers failing with the first few shots.:eek:

I like the SIG, it has a 1911 style to it, I thought about selling my lcp and buying one.

carguychris

I heard some bad things with S&W 380 body guard when it came out, triggers failing with the first few shots.
What you heard about was probably the takedown lever/pin, not the trigger. The lever/pin is rotated 90 degrees and then pushed out of the pistol to allow the slide to come off (I'm using the term "lever/pin" because some people call it a pin, others a lever; it's actually both).

Early-production Bodyguard .380s (ca. early 2010) had a problem with the takedown lever/pins shooting loose, sometimes so suddenly that the slide would spontaneously come off while returning to battery after firing. :( S&W fixed this problem with a redesign. Newer-production pistols should not have the problem, although some owners have ironically complained that the redesigned lever/pin is obnoxiously difficult to remove when brand new. :rolleyes:

FWIW to return to the OP's question, the FN Browning Model 1910 has a thumb safety and a grip safety. This pistol is a true classic, both in the good and bad senses of the word; I love them, but the newest ones you'll find on the American market are about 45 years old, so it may not be the type of thing the OP is after. ;)

dsk

The only .380 with a "backstrap" safety that I'm aware of is the long-discontinued (since WW2) Colt Pocket Hammerless. When you find one in great shape it can be a great little carry gun, but do be aware that early models lacked an inertia-type firing pin and can go boom if dropped.

Sparks1957

The Bersa Thunder is a good .380 for the money, a modified Walther PPK design, and all metal construction... runs about $275. Highly recommend it.

Not sure it fits the "pocket gun" designation precisely, but quite compact and concealable

Last edited:

checkmyswag

Someone mentioned the small 380's not being fun to shoot. Good point. If a person is very recoil sensitive...heavier may be a good thing for shooting yet not for carrying.

Cheapshooter

My mother is looking to get a pocket SD weapon in .380 ACP . She loves the Ruger LCP but doesn't care for the fact that it has no physical safety.

I guess it's useless to try to tell her the long, deliberate trigger pull of the LCP is the safety. Just like a double action revolver.

OEF-Vet

I guess it's useless to try to tell her the long, deliberate trigger pull of the LCP is the safety. Just like a double action revolver.
Cheapshooter, yes it would be useless to tell her that again since that's the first thing I said when after I suggested the LCP she saw it had no physical safety and said she didn't like that.
As I said in my original post
As you can tell she is very specific about what she wants, I just need to find it.
Meaning; I need to shut up and find it because she knows what she wants to see in a pistol and won't be satisfied with anything less.

lcpiper

Ummm, when you said she loves the LCP, and it looks like the BG380 as well.

Has she actually fired them yet?

It's an amazing thing, some people can grab any gun and shoot them and never seem bothered by recoil at all, others can't seem to shoot anything beyond a BB gun.