• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

PMs

logeorge

After logging in, I went to send a member a PM. After typing it up and checking for errors, I clicked on send and a screen came up saying I was not logged in, and must do so to send a PM. The message also disappeared and I can't find it. This is the second time in a week that this has happened. Am I just not smart enough to operate this thing, or is something else wrong? L. O. George

When you log in, do you check the box that says [something like] "Keep me checked in"? (I don't remember exactly, because I checked it so I never see it.)

If you don't check that box, the software will automatically log you off after a certain period of inactivity. It's not a long period ... and if you have an edit window open and you spend any significant amount of time composing your message, the system sees that as inactivity because you didn't interact with it, so it logs you off.

logeorge

OK, that's it. I never thought of that. The message I was trying to send was rather long and I'm not the best typist in the world, so it was a while between starting to type and hitting the send button. Thanks! I'll try again later.

Mal H

Staff
What AB said.

The timeout period is 20 minutes. So if you don't check off the "Remember me" box, and you take 20 minutes or more with no system interactions, you will be logged out. If you don't want to check off the Remember me box, and there are some good reasons not to (you're on a public computer at the library, etc.) then try to remember to do something to signal the system you're still around, maybe a page refresh in a separate window, or do a PM preview, etc.