PMC's Brenneke slug

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Went to the range today to try these babies out.

Used two 870 12 ga - #1 with an 18" bbl, fixed imp cyl choke & iron sights. The other, #2 w/ a 21" bbl, vent rib, double bead, screw-in modified.

25 yards & a couple from #1 just clipped each other, #2's threw 'em about an inch apart.

50 yards = 3X each - #1's did a nice cloverleaf about 1.5" center to center. #2's at about twice that. BTW. #1's sights threw these about 3.5" high at 25 yards & 50 yards.

100 yards with just #1 & I got about 8" groups & roughly centered about the bullseye, byt frankly, I couldn't see the bull all that well at that distance. Figure with even a 2X scope, the group would have shrunk to 1/2 what I got.

In any event, I'm pretty tickled with this load. Never saw this PMC offering until a week or so back. 1oz Brenneke at 1600 fps that shoots wonderful out of my two main 870s & at $1.99/5 pack ... on the way home, bought up another 10 boxes.

I need more money - again. ;)

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Thanks for the T&E. Bet you could tune up that #1 and have tighter groups w/o much sweat or expense. See the Archives for details.

The PMCs sound a lot like my slug of choice, the KO Brenneke, down to the price.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
As an aside, I have a screw-ion rifled choke for the 21" bb' & tried a couple of the whiz-bang sabot slugs. Key-holed at 25 yards :( & about twice as much. Apparently, not enough strabilization with only ~5" or so of rifling.

No thanks.

The Bs shoot plenty accurate for what I want out of a shotgun, but I'll take a look to see what else might tighten that up some.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Did the searcg bit for tips on wringing out my shotguns - came up blank.

Who's got a link or more ... ?