PMC Eldorado Starfire Ammo.....Any Good?

Not trying to beat the ammo thing to death, just looking for opinions on this stuff. Its been around for a long time, my dad has a case of 40 cal 180 grain starfires that he will sell me for cheap.:D I dont want to buy the stuff if its sub-par.

OBIWAN

Here is a quote from GAry Roberts

"Uh, have you ever seen a valid terminal ballistic test where the PMC Starfire performed well???

Tom Burczynski may design something that looks great initially, but sadly that does not mean that he controls how the company who buys his idea then modifies his design or how they produce it..."

esheato

Great ammo. I carried it for quite awhile. Slower then the rest, but it always performed as it was supposed to.

Ed

JR47

I'll assume that you buying a case of the ammo will mean that you're getting it at a substantial discount? It's normally quite accurate, and is reliable.

Burchzynski mentioned in conversation a couple months ago that he would have liked to see PMC load the ammo about 75-100 fps hotter, for optimal performance. This could have been done without exceeding the SAAMI spec.

I've used it to put down some wounded (car struck) animals that run in the 135-175 pound range. None of them ever complained that they weren't as dead as with the latest whiz-bang jello-junkie approved ammo. They were all single-shot kills. While they didn't shoot back, one was attempting to use edged weapons on anyone who came near. Horny thing.

It's up to you.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
I carry PMC Starfire in my Taurus PT145 exclusively. I've had a few problems with it feeding other hollowpoint ammo, but never a hiccup with the PMC. It's relatively expensive, so if you have an opportunity to get some cheap, I would take it.