PM9 Pearce grip extension, effects of ?

EastSideRich

Has anyone ever experienced any problems feeding after adding a grip extension to a magazine, specifically on a Kahr?
I recently picked up a used PM9, through which I ran about 100 124gr Federal HST (+p and std pressure) as well as about 50 WWB without a hiccup.
I just added a Pearce grip extension, but am now wondering if there's any chance of this effecting how it feeds, due to the fact I will now be putting some force on the front of the bottom of the magazine when it is shot.

OldShooter

I doubt it. I put one on my XD9SC and have not had any problems. Clean the magazines(are OEM or after market?) and the feed ramp. Is it happening with all the magazines or just one.

Take a look at the bottom plate you took off the magazine. Other than the finger extension on the Pearce unit is there some part that prevents the mag from seating properly?

Wait a minute. You are asking if this will create a problem. You haven't had a problem yet? How much force do you expect to exert with your pinky? Go Shooting and report back if there is a problem.

EastSideRich

The reason I was asking was because I don't get to the range that much.
It's probably going to be a while before I shell out another $100 on a trip out there.
This is the gun I carry, and it feels much better with the extension. I am however debating whether or not to carry it with the extension before I have tried it out (which will cost the above mentioned funds, as well as the better part of an evening).
I was thinking there must be a number of people here who have the same thing on the the same gun.
If someone says "I put one on and began getting the occasional FTF" that would make the decision easier.
Likewise, if a handful of people were to say "I've got one and have never had an issue" I'd be more inclined to leave it on and not worry about it.

Also, I would think you would actually put quite a bit of torque on the magazine from the extension due to the fact its at the bottom of the magazine.
If I had to guess, I would say it shouldn't affect how the gun feeds, but the gun does seem a little finicky on how it feeds the first few rounds out of a magazine. The first 3 rounds will only chamber if the slide lock/release is used; the rest will chamber just fine by just pulling back the slide and letting go. I guess this is just how that gun (PM9) functions due to the shape of the magazine, the shape of the 9mm cartridge, and the angle of the feed ramp, so I'm not really too concerned about that.
I was wondering if slightly shifting the magazine during firing could have an impact. The magazine does not sit flush with the bottom of the grip and has about 1/16" vertical play. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility, so I thought I'd throw the question out on here just to see.

B18C5-EH2

I just went to the range for the second time since adding the Pearce Grip pinky extension on my PM9 and it fired 100% flawlessly.

KahrPM9Artsy.jpg

It's more pleasant to shoot with the extension IMO, but you might get pinched where the extension meets the end of the grip - not a big deal IMO. I think it's a fair trade for the extra comfort and follow up shot accuracy.

condition_ONE

I ordered some of the same grip extensions because the stock extended mag pinches my finger between the grip and the plastic cover. I experimented with removing the plastic bottom cover and putting on a metal base plate and that was much more comfortable as it didn't pinch.

I'm hoping that the gap between the grip extension and the grip is smaller than that of the cover so it doesn't bite my finger. We'll see.

B18C5-EH2

I ran through 150 rounds today, half of which were through the factory 6 round mad with the PG extension, and again not a single issue to speak of.

If your hands are medium sized you'll more than likely get the base of your thumb or webbing between it and your hand roughed up by the corner of the back of the frame seen here:

PM9thumbdig.jpg

My last trip that saw 200+rounds fired left a bloody spot where the red rectangle is, and it's calloused up enough now not to bother me.

Note this is with some extended shooting. I don't use the PM9 as a target pistol, but since it had a malfunction at the range on its first trip I want to run as much ammo through it as possible to know that the problem is gone.

300 rounds later it sure seems to be a fine shooting pistol, made more enjoyable by the Pearce Grip.

EastSideRich

Thanks Guys!

Two things:
B18: I know what you mean about the web of your hand. The first knuckle on my trigger finger also took a beating.

The other thing is a little off topic, but since this is about the grip extension, which relates to comfort, I'll mention it. I found the checkering on the front and rear of the grip to be too aggressive for my taste. I added this stuff called AGrip. If you're unfamiliar, check out this link: http://www.brookstactical.com/Pages/whtsagrp.html
The stuff is great; it's kinda suedey feeling and really helps you grip the gun (insofar as it doesn't slip). It also makes it so the checkering is not so abrasive.
If you don't like how the grip feels, I highly recommend it - it's neat stuff.
EDC013.jpg

midiwall

We use them on a Kahr PM9 and a Kel-Tec PF-9, they work fine.

I understand your line of thinking, but the force that you're putting at the end of the magazine doesn't create enough force at the top of the mag to present the round cockeyed to the chamber. The fit of the mag in the mag well is plenty tight to avoid that situation.