Plugs

Bucksnort1

On a duck hunting trip, during the last waterfowl season, a friend and I checked to be sure our plugs were in our shotguns after we loaded our guns. From my Winchester 1100, I ejected one shell from the chamber and two from the magazine. My friend ejected one from the chamber and three from the magazine. His plug was in the gun. His gun is a Remington 870 which will shoot 3" shells, like mine. Both of us were shooting 2.75" shells. The gun is not more than six years old.

What up?

Virginian

He has the wrong plug in the gun for whatever configuration magazine he has. And yes, one plug will limit the gun to 2 in the magazine with both 3" and 2-3/4" shells.
You have a highly collectable and valuable one off - a Winchester 1100. I have no experience with them. Remington 1100s are great guns, but nowhere near as valuable.

jmr40

Your friend needs a plug just a hair longer.

Also, the length of shells is measured after being fired. There is a substantial difference between different brands of shells of the same length before they are fired. If he happened to be using some that are really short I could see that happening.

Blindstitch

Simple solution that can be fixed with anything from a wood dowel to an aluminum rod.

At least he had a rod in there.
Not being familiar with the gun but is there a chance it was a 3 1/2 inch mag?
3 1/2 x2 +1 inch for fun gets you 8. 2.75x3 is 8.25 which would make that gun close to fitting 3 shells in the tube. Yeah yeah I know shot shell length vs unfired but the math could be semi right.