Please tell me somthing about this Colt

cnemeth

Today I saw a NIB Colt Detective Special, stainless steel with a 3" barrel. This is a newer model with the shrouded ejector rod. Asking price $330. The store was getting ready to close, so I did not get a chance to it check it out in detail. Does anyone know anything about this model? I wasn't looking to buy anything now, but this one caught my interest.

Thanks
Chris Nemeth

For the last couple of years of prouction I seem to recall Colt making a stainless Detective and calling it the SV-1, or something like that...

Dfariswheel

Colt's last .38 snubby was first issued as the "SF-VI", (Small Frame, 6 shot). Within a few months or so, it was being shipped as the "DS-II, then in .357 Mag as the "Magnum Carry". All were in stainless.

I waited for years for a stainless Detective Special, so I bought a SF-VI. I was not particulary impressed with it. The edges of the muzzle were so sharp they would ruin a holster in short order.
The rear sight didn't have a recess cut below it so the glare was bad enough that shooting in bright light was tough. There was no ejector rod head, and the rod was small in diameter.

Basically, I converted the rear sight, the muzzle, and the ejector rod to a Detective Special form. I reshaped the muzzle to the same contour as the DS, made the rear sight cut, added an ejector rod head, and opened up the rod slot in the barrel.

What decided me on getting rid of it, was the action. It was NOT what I expected from a Colt. Although the trigger was very light and smooth, the cylinder locking system was kind of crappy. When the hammer went back, the cylinder bolt would barely unlock, then instantly drop back onto the cylinder, so quickly, I wasn't real sure it would always unlock to start with. This was NOT an out of spec timing problem. It was how the damn thing was designed to work.

Although reliable and fairly accurate, it wasn't one of Colt's better efforts. As soon as possible I'm going to pick up an original late model "D" frame Dick Special and have it hard chromed.

4thHorseman

Dfariswheel

I own many Colts. I couldn't agree with you more. Everything you mentioned I found the same faults and good points with my Colts.
One more thing, on the new model Colt Magnum Carry (DS-II) the trigger eats into your finger when fired. I had to remove it and file down the sharp edges. Made it rounder.

B Shipley

DS-II also had some changes in the lockwork from SF-VI. Bolt/stop still deploys too quick.

Mine has had MAJOR timing problems with less than 300 rounds fired (+ a broken firing pin)
that is the result of a skipping hand that won't lock up against the ratchet/extractor consistently.
Colt was incapable/unwilling of fixing the thing right. Trigger hurts.

Accuracy was very good. Looks nice.

SF-VI = DS-II = CRAP!

The lockwork of that Colt DS is akin to the MK III Trooper. That is, while it can be smooth (and some certainly were), it's not the old hammer forged stuff. I believe Colt did a lot of investment casting for those newer guns and also use sintered metal (compressed metal powder which is then heated). The early attempts by Colt at sintered metal was a dismal failure and the newer guns may have investment casting (nothing wrong, even Springfield Armory - the gubmint place & not the commerical one we have today - played with investment casting) internal lock work.

BTW, the advantage of the MK III Trooper action is that it's much easier for an average gunsmith to work on.