Please recommend a scope for 22 mag.

Z400ACDC

I bought a marlin 925m at wm last night(199+tax). Is there a decent scope in the $100 range? A Bushnell trophy ran about $90. At what distance should I set the scope at? I was thinking 80-100 yards.

sholling

Congratulations on the new rifle. I'd just get a get either the Weaver Classic 4x32 shotgun scope that Natchez has on clearance or the Weaver Classic 2.5-7x28 Rimfire. Both are set to be parallax free at 50yds and are great scopes for the money. The 4x32 is under your budget and the 2.5-7x28 is just over.

You can refer to this to see where they live on the scope food chain.

The 22mag is much more of a hunting cartridge than a target cartridge. I'd zero it for whatever range you think you'll be assassinating squirrels at. If you're not sure then 50yds is a great place to start. You can always change it later.

Last edited:

joe1347

I bought a marlin 925m at wm last night(199+tax). Is there a decent scope in the $100 range? A Bushnell trophy ran about $90. At what distance should I set the scope at? I was thinking 80-100 yards.

Are you planning on using the 22mag for target (range) shooting or hunting? And if hunting, will it be for varmint (long range) or more shorter range small game - such as rabbits and squirrels?

Z400ACDC

I just plink around on my property. I target shoot some and may take a crow or tree rat. I would use my 22-250 if I needed. It would be used 100yrds or less.

joe1347

I just plink around on my property. I target shoot some and may take a crow or tree rat. I would use my 22-250 if I needed. It would be used 100yrds or less.

Sounds like you're not going to have to carry the rifle for any extended period of time, so you could go for more of a high powered target scope that will certainly provide the best accuracy at 100 yard ranges.

Intensity optics is one of the more favored brands over at rimfirecentral.com Natchez had a great special on a 6.5-20x44 AO that I just mounted on my Savage MKII BTVRJ (pic below), but it looks like they're out of stock now (at Natchez). Another Intensity Optics AO scope from Natchez is the 4-12x44 Intensity Optics scope. Yet another inexpensive alternative popular with the rimfirecentral crowd is the Muller APV.

MKII_BTVRJSmall.jpg

Last edited:

levrluvr

The Mueller APV is an outstanding choice for a .22mag. Should run you about $115 including shipping if you look around.

j.chappell

I am partial to low power variables and fixed power scopes. For 22 mags I prefer a fixed 4x or 6x but if you wanted a variable I'd go with nothing more than a 2-7 or 3-9. You will want a rimfire, shotgun, or muzzleloader scope as they are set for a shorter parallax than centerfire rifle scopes. Or one equipped with an AO.

A few I would look at in your price range:

Bushnell 4x32 Rimfire
Bushnell 3-9x32 Rimfire
Bushnell Banner 4x32 Rimfire
Swift 4x32 Reliant Rimfire
Vortex 4x32 Crossfire Rimfire
Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire Rimfire

I really like Weaver and Leupold rimfire scopes but they are a little out of your price range. You may be able to pick up a used scope of higher quality for less from an auction house.

J.

L_Killkenny

The Mueller APV has great reviews over at Rimfire Central and I'd have to say is the top recommended scope below $150. I personally like the Simmons 22 Mag Series when it comes to CHEAP scopes and have had zero problems with the 3 that I have used. Last one I bought was 6 or 8 years ago though. You have to watch out with some scopes like the Simmons, bushnell, etc. They switch oriental manufactures like some of us change socks. Quality can vary widely.

Z400ACDC

Well, my neighbor gave me a simmons 8 point 3-9x40. I know they are a cheap scope, but I thought I would give it a try.

hounddawg

Just replaced the 4x factory scope with a Bushnell 3-9x32 on my Marlin 60. Midway has it on sale for 36 bucks and it works fine for punching holes in paper. This one is too new for a endurance recommendation but I have always had good luck with Bushnell scopes as far as reliability in the past. This is my first variable though so time will tell.

srt 10 jimbo

Put a 95 dollar Bushnnell on my Savage 93fv. Might not be the best but it does the job. Got a 90lb pig at 60 yards with it.:)

Z400ACDC

Thanks for all the heip!
I put the Simmons 8 point 3-9x40 on it today. I went behind my home and sand bagged a 100yard target. I could put them in a 4 inch group. Thats the best I could do without a gun vise. I am going to try one, maybe tomorrow.

joe1347

Quote:
Is there a decent scope in the $100 range?

No.

Sounds like you are advising against either the Mueller APV or the Intensity Optics scopes. Any specific reasons?

j.chappell

I put the Simmons 8 point 3-9x40 on it today. I went behind my home and sand bagged a 100yard target. I could put them in a 4 inch group. Thats the best I could do without a gun vise. I am going to try one, maybe tomorrow.

Don’t be surprised if it is the scope that caused that terrible group. I have never had a scoped 22 mag shoot that bad, ever. Come to think of it I have never had an open sighted 22 mag ever shoot that bad. That is why I say don’t be surprised if it is the scopes fault. I have seen way too many bad Simmons to ever trust one even on a rimfire.

J.

Huntergirl

You probably need a decent scope. For 100yds, I can easily do 2 1/2in groups iron sights with my Savage 93. No insult meant, but if you and the rifle do your part, a good scope will give you much better groups. I consistantly am getting 1in groups using my Burris Short Mag scope on the Savage 93.

Z400ACDC

How are you holding your rifle to shoot that well with sights? I know that old simmons 8 point I through on my Marlin is a crappy scope and I will get something better. I was sitting on a plastic table useing a bag of dirt sighting in that 22mag. I think I could have got it better if I had used a vise and better table. But, if I could hit a tree rat at 100yards with sights, I would not need a scope.