Please help with decision

Coop de Ville

I am looking to purchase my first Glock. I was originally looking at a USP but it is too expensive for me. So, the 17 or the 21. I have a 1911-A1 FS, and am thinking I should stick with 45ACP for ease of ordering ammo supplies, etc. But I've heard great things about the 17. I've handled both and like the feel of both. From the Glock spec sheet, the sizes are within .5 inches, so big deal there. I don't want to post this on Glocktalk because I get 50% for the 17 and 50% for the 21, with no real input. I am hoping to get a nonglocker's perspective. Maybe someone who uses a 1911, but likes a particular Glock model.

Thanks and regards, -Coop

45automan

Hey I have 4 1911 style guns. I have 2 Glocks a 19 and a 21. The 21 is much wider than a 17. If you plan on carring it this may matter to you. I like Glocks for their ruggedness and simplicity. The 21 is a very soft shooting .45. The 17 is also very soft a little flip is all you get. The 17 when fully loaded weighs about as much as my 1911 fully loaded. The 17 holds 17+1,the 1911 7+1.
It is all about what you prefer. Shoot them both if you haven't already. Since you have a 1911 .45 you may want to add a 9mm to your collection. I am a die hard .45acp user,and prefer the 1911. Thats me though. I bought a Glock 19 a few months back and love it. It shoots fast and well. Very little muzzle flip.I find myself carring the Glock 19 more and more lately. It is 15+1 rounds in a suprisingly compact and light package. The 17 is the same gun only slighty bigger. My brother has a Glock 17 and wouldn't trade it for anything.
The 17 and 21 are both great guns. It's a matter of what role the gun will play and what works for you. My 21 is my house gun,size is not an issue. It has 14 rounds of .45acp at the ready. It makes me feel comfortable. :)
If you have can shoot them both then decide.
Hope this helps,45automan

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I am a Sig aholic, so you should appreciate my input.:D First of all, you need to make a caliber selection;:eek:
either 9m/m or .45ACP?:) Then, and only then we could
talk about which model of Glock to recommend;:rolleyes:
either the 17 or the 21?:) My personal preference of the
two lies with the time-tested, and proven 17.:p Of course,
you must enter the compact model 19, and the sub-compact
26 here, as well.:eek: But probably more rounds have been
fired by the 17, than any other Glock in history.:rolleyes:
Major law enforcement agencies (S.O.P.'s) across this country favor the issuance of the model 17.:) And you
know what? They all can't be wrong!!!:D:):eek::rolleyes:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

The Fat Man

Bigger is always better

IMHO, the .45 is always going to be the first choice. I'm by no means a Glock fan, but since you're down to one manufacturer, the choice should then be based on caliber, y'know?

10CFR

The Glock 17 with night sights was the weapon I was issued and trained with when I tried my hand at the LEO business. It was a reliable and easy to maintain firearm. Nowadays, for my 'civilian' carry choice I have a Glock 23 (the .40 cal version of the Glock 19; If you like .357 Sig caliber, it would be a model 32). The only thing you lose is is some magazine capacity. Please handle a model 19 before you buy either of the bigger ones because you might find that you fall in love with the size. Its big enough to carry for a duty weapon, but small enough to conceal easily. All your fingers fit on it, unlike some of the really small models. Choose whatever caliber you like. If you prefer the larger models which you described, then it is just a choice of caliber for you. I personally like the 9x19, .40S&W, and .45 all three, so it would be something I would procrastinate about.

Another thing you should really consider is ordering whatever one you settle on with tritium night sights. If I had the money to do so, I would have night sights on every defensive pistol I own - period. When I went through the academy, I shot a higher score in nightfire than in daylight, and we only had a road flare and some police car strobes at a distance for light. The night sights could make the difference between your surviving a deadly encounter and not doing so. Give them some consideration. Check them out for yourself.

Another interesting note. In the newest edition of Cabelas Shooting catalog, I saw Triple K 17 round magazines for the Glock 17 for $24.99 (page 89). Magazines of this type can go for A LOT more. I don't know how the Triple K's are. (no, I don't work for Cabelas).

Good shooting. Be safe. Enjoy.

-10CFR