Please Help! What does a Colt SAA Sight Picture Look Like?

Dmanbass

Hello, I have recently purchased a brand new Uberti Single Action Army Style (Colt replica) revolver and have been looking for some guide to show me what I am supposed to be looking for when aiming at a bullseye. My manual does not say and I have been unable to find anything online even after exhaustive searches. I know there will be a lot of you that know what the sight picture is supposed to look like. I don't know why Uberti doesn't include at least a sentence or two on "how to aim your new revolver". I have never owned a SAA type before. Thank you very much.:confused:

Last edited:

Jim March

You may be having a problem with elevation.

SAA-type sights are deliberately too tall - you're supposed to mildly file them to bring the elevation in line with the type of load you use.

A good plan is to pick a particular weight class bullet you're interested in and standardize on it.

My Ruger New Vaquero (357Mag) is dialed in for 135/140gr bullet weights. There's several good choices in defense ammo in that class and it still comes close enough with everything from 125gr to 158gr. Outside of that range it gets a bit funky.

Bullets of a given weight tend to land at around the same place regardless of what speed they're driven at.

If you're lining up the tip of the front sight right between the highest points of the rear sight and the elevation is way off (shooting lower than your point of aim) you're going to need to do a bit of filing. First figure out what you're going to actually do with the gun, figure out an appropriate load that shoots tight groups in that gun, and then at the range, shoot'n'file'n'shoot'n'file until your elevation is dialed in.

If bullets are landing HIGHER than your point of aim, oops, you either need a taller front sight or heavier bullets that will land higher.

Dmanbass

Still a question on aim

Thank you very much for the replies. I do appreciate them. I also got the one about the front site not having paralell sides ;)..... I think I did not make myself very clear. When I look through the sights at a bullseye... is the bullseye supposed to be all on top of the sights or do I place the sights in the middle of the bullseye? I understand now that the front and rear sites must be lined up horizontally and the front site should be centered in the rear site though. It seems to me that if the bullseye is on top of the sites the bullet would be low since the center of the barrell is below the sights. Correct? Once I get this I will know it forever. Sorry but I am new with the SAA. Thanks again.

Jim March

Regarding your last, it should be whatever you want. Which means fine-tuning the front sight height :).

Seriously, some people like the target above the sight aim, some (like me) like it dead on.

Hawg

I like the exact poi I want to hit right on top of the front sight. Both my saa's shoot low but I'm too lazy to file the sight so I have about a third of the front sight sticking above the rear at 25 yds.

RickB

It depends on the size of the target. Bullseye shooters place the sights below the bull (6:00 hold), even if the bull is 6" in diameter, so for them, the gun is "on" when it's shooting 3" above the point of aim. Most people pick a distance, say 30 feet, or 25 yards, or even 50 yards, and adjust the sights so the rounds impact right at point of aim. I'll usually use a 1" aiming dot at 30 feet to get the sights on - meaning the point of impact is 1/2" above point of aim - then check at 25 yards. That way, I can generally hit whatever I can see through the sights.

Dmanbass

All good answers thank you. I can certainly see how the size of the bullseye matters. Now I know more about POI and how to sight in my new SAA. Time to go to the range and sight in at about 20 to 25 yards cuz that's about as far as I can see. I appreciate all your input and thoughts. Man, taking a file to my pretty baby is making me nervous just thinking about it!:eek:

Jim March

Want to get more radical than just filing?

My sights started out looking like your (Ruger New Vaquero).

vaqhawk.jpg

Dmanbass

Hey Jim that's cool. I dont think I am that good (yet) at smithing though. I guess I could add the little smiley man on there :rolleyes:... Nice sight!!

Dmanbass

Heres my new Uberti. So far all I've done is polish the cam (bolt) a bit and ordered Wolfe springs. I am very impressed with the workmanship and fit of the revolver. Feels very solid and looks great.

Attachments

• Daves Uberti .45 Caliber Purchased Feb 2008.JPG
    Daves Uberti .45 Caliber Purchased Feb 2008.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 531

CraigC

Uberti is putting out a good sixgun these days. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The last few I've gotten required very little work to get them slick. Naturally the dump truck springs have to go. ;)

Ozzieman

Dmanbass nice gun,
How is the fit of the wood?
I have heard some are great and some are not so great.
I have a Ruger Vaquero in 45 and it’s a wonderfully well made gun, but the wood is horrible, poor fit and loose.

CraigC

The one piece walnut grips on most Italian replicas are typically fitted to the frame. Ruger's are made in bulk and bolted up after the fact. They're factory grips have been horrible for years. All of mine are in a box. ;)

Dmanbass

Hello again and thanks for all the posts and comments. My Uberti has very good fit on the grips. I was surprised and definitely am happy! Overall the fit of everything is straight close and tight. But yes, out with the dumptruck springs and in with the Wolf's. She's a sweet revolver for sure. Thanks also for the sight link. I'll keep it handy in case I ever need it. I'll post again after the weekend shooting and let you know how she shoots. :cool:

Man the .45 Colt ammo is a lot isn't it? I paid close to $40/fifty, Winchester.

Dmanbass

New Uberti Stock Grips

In fact here are two pictures showing the grip fit and finish. It's like a quality piece of furniture IMHO:) and no I wasn't shooting indoors the earplugs are because my girl says I snore but I don't.

Attachments

• Uberti Grips.JPG
    Uberti Grips.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 382
Last edited: