Please help me undo the Lok-Tight!

patrickt66

I need help in a bad way. I recently took the red-dot off my S&W 629 and when I tried to remove the Weigand Combat scope mount I couldn't turn the screws which I had applied red Lok-Tight to. The screws are hex-heads and I don't want to break them or strip the screws, what do I do?

sharpsrifle

patrickt66

Here's a handy method that shouldn't damage the finish or hardness of the metal.
If you have a soldering iron handy, just get it good and hot and apply it to the screw.
An alternative is to heat a large nail or similar object on the stove and use it the same way.

Gopher .45

Removing screws

As I understand it, loktite/loctite (however you spell it) is similar to super glue. Super glue is great at putting things back together, but does not withstand shock force all that well.

As with the lug nuts on your car, loktite/loctite may not come loose with gradually increased pressure. A quick pop on the hex key should do the trick just as you would give a quick pop to the lug wrench to undo a stuck lug nut. Be prudent with the amount of pressure you impart and keep it relative to the job at hand.

I have had a similar situation with my hex grip screws as well. I inserted the hex key and gently popped it with the palm of my hand whilst also applying downward force with the thumb of my other hand to assure that the hex key did not jump out of the screw. The grip screws may not be as delicate as your sight screws, however.

Throw it in the freezer over night, or for a couple of days. Deep freeze is a lot better. The parts will hopefully shrink enough that the bond between the screws and gun will be broken.

It's sort of the opposite of heating the parts with a soldering iron.

OkieGentleman

I dont want to be tacky but you goofed. NEVER use Red Loctite on something you might want to disassemble EVER.
I use Red loctite on some pieces of machinery, but I know I will have to take a torch and a hammer wrench to them to remove screws.

Try this -- get two allen wrenches of the size that fits your screw heads. Make sure one of them is as long as possible. Heat the long wrench to red hot with a propane torch and put it into the screw head while holding the wrench with a pair of pliers. DO NOT TRY AND TURN THE SCREW. Let the heat move down into the screw, when the wrench has quit being red hot, remove it and insert the other cold wrench and see if you can turn the screw gently. You might have to do this more than once to get the screw out. You might even want to wait a few seconds for the heat to work its way into the loctite before trying to turn the screw -- don't get rough and break off the screwhead.

After you have gotten the screws out, clean the screw hole and the screw to get as much of the Red loctite off as possible. You might ever consider getting two new screws.

If this is something you might have to take apart again, go to a model airplane store and see if you can find some liquid nylon screw dope like the model plane guys use. Super nice stuff and empervious to almost all oils and cleaners.

Good luck, come back and let us know how this worked out

Paul B.

I've used red loctite and epoxy to hold scope screws and mounts. I have an old fashioned electric plumbers soldering iron. I get it hot, place it against the screw I want to remove for about one minute. Screw comes out with little or no resisitance. With epoxy, it takes about two minutes. You can loosen epoxy by freezing as well. I haven't tried it on Loctite.
Paul B.

sharpsrifle

Sorry Ding, but I must disagree.

You are MUCH more likely to damage the metal or stock finish with a heat gun than the soldering iron.
The iron puts the heat on the screw not in the general area.

patrickt66

Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably end up trying one or all of your suggestions. I need to get the iron sights back on before Thanksgiving 'cuz I'm leaving for a hunting trip in Maine after Thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws place.

9x45

If you ever want to disasseble fine machine screws, then use Permatex #2. It has enough torque to hold the screws in place, and yet is easily removed without damaging the threads.

Ledbetter

I think Okie Gentleman nailed it

But a soldering iron might work just as well. Apply for 30 seconds, gently try to loosen. Repeat as required.

9x19

I've used WD-40 for a number of years to loosen Lok-Tite. Let it soak and it will, usually, soften up the adhesive.