Please help me understand...

SundownRider

What is it about the M1A?
Lately I have a desire for one of these rifles that is becoming increasingly hard to ignore. It is getting to the point where I am looking at my safe to see what I can sell to help finance one of theseit. I don't understand at all, given that
1. I have never owned one.
2. I have never fired one.
3. I don't know anyone who owns one.
4. I have no place nearby to shoot it.
5. The local gun store wants serious gold for the ones they have in stock.

Why are these calling to me? I have been into Cowboy Action Shooting for the last ten years and am considering selling my cowboy guns to buy an M1A!

I'm so confused. Please help me understand.

biglabsrule

I love the look exspecialy when an army scout has one, that's why they call to me. A friend of mine is an army scout and brought one out at a range, all tricked out and burlap wraped, I want one more than ever now...

dwatts47

chances are Hill-obam and the anti gunners won't outlaw cowboy action stuff anytime soon... not sure about the future of semi auto rifles...I'd make the switch.

MTMilitiaman

Because there are examples of everything that just appeal to those who know. I am sure there are cars out there that those who know cars really just appreciate for the experience. There may be faster 0-60 times out there, or better handling cars, but when everything is where it should be, you just know, this was built by someone who appreciates, by someone who cares.

In handguns, this is the 1911. There are higher capacities or there. More powerful, less powerful, there are lighter guns, guns that are easier to take apart, even arguably more reliable guns. But there is something about the 1911, a character, something about fine machining, history and nostalgia, and the ingenuity of the design just comes together to create something special.

The M14/M1A and the M1 Garand are all like that as well. They are rifleman's rifles. And they just feel right. Everything is where it should be. They are accurate, reliable, and durable, but more than that, they just feel right. I used to scoff at them for their traditional appearance. It wasn't until I identified myself as a rifleman that I truly came to appreciate the M1A for what it is. And then I had to have one. It is the newest addition to my collection, but quickly became my favorite. I love it. Money well spent, in my book.

Get thee an M1A!

M1AandMilSpec.jpg

azredhawk44

They have the nostalgic appearance and mechanical design of the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine.

They have the ammunition capacity of modern AR's, FAL's and G3's.

They eclipse all autoloading combat rifles in accuracy with the exception of an AR.

They are very expensive to feed nowadays though. Given that you have no long distance range available and money is of concern, you might want to look into the CMP's program of reselling surplus M1 Carbines instead. This cartridge is much lighter than the 7.62 Nato and can be shot in many indoor pistol ranges.

Once you qualify for purchase, an M1 Carbine will set you back about $500 plus shipping.

I love my M1A though. But I have a great big desert to shoot it in, and I take it hunting in the great wide West.

FirstFreedom

I'm so confused. Please help me understand

Hmmm, lemme see:

Do you have zombies roaming your neighborhood?

Is there an Al Queada cell operating in your town?

Is there a lot of dirtbag crooks in your area?

Do you like slinging hot lead at high speeds in rapid succession downrange?

Do you appreciate the confluence of functionality and beauty in an engineering marvel?

Or some combination of the above?

SundownRider

First Freedom,
Your fourth and fifth reasons are appealing. Other than the odd zombie-looking teenager, we're thankfully short of scumbags and Al-Queda types around here.

azredhawk44,
I have an M1 Carbine I recently purchased an really like.

I can't really explain it, but there is something about the M1A that is really talking to me. Maybe something from another life? Not that I believe in that sort of thing, but I really have no explanation outside of:

I REALLY WANT ONE!

azredhawk44

I find it very telling that the 1911 got mentioned in the same thread.

FirstFreedom said:
Do you appreciate the confluence of functionality and beauty in an engineering marvel?

MTMilitiaman said:
It wasn't until I identified myself as a rifleman that I truly came to appreciate the M1A for what it is.

Two quotes that define the M14's nature.

SundownRider

CraigC,
Trust me, if I had the funds available I would own one very quickly. I do have an extremely rare Ruger Vaquero I might sell to finance...;)

I will own one, no doubt. But I need patience at present, as I am expecting my third child in a few weeks. That will freeze the available funds.

Soon...soon...my pretty.

john in jax

I've held and haggled over a lot of M1As/M14's over the years and just never wanted one bad enough to pay what they were asking. I loved the nostalgia and history of them, but just didn't really "want" one - - and I was good with that.

My life didn't have an M1A/M14 in it, but I was happy, life was good. Until I held a SOCOM 16 and then I was bit by the "got-to-have-one" bug like I have never been bitten before.

I sold some guns I really liked, and paid thru the nose, but I've got a beautiful, like-new, SOCOM 16 and it feels GREAT! To me the M14 feels heavy and slow, but my SOCOM 16 is light and fast. The M14 felt too long and awkward, but the 16" bbl make my SOCOM short and quick.

If you like quick handling (cowboy) carbines, whatever you do, do NOT handle a SOCOM 16!

Last edited:

SpikeHead

Haven't been bitten yet by the M1A, but I'm positive that I'll own one one day. I do love the classic American look of the M14/M1A. It just has "Defending Freedom" written all over it.

capt Ajax

I'll tell you why!

SundownRider,

I know because I got bit by the same bug and actually bought one 3 weeks ago :eek:

Here is the truth:
M1A Socom 16's are like Labrador Retrievers.....Thats right! They can be used for just about anything...

Sure there are other rifles that specilize in either WAR, HUNTING, HOME DEFENSE, or TARGET SHOOTING but if your like me, and can't afford a fancy safe full of expensive weapons (or a pack of high dollar Dogs) you need a rifle that is flexable enough to do anything, yet not overly exotic like an AK or an M4.........and (Like a Lab) it's all American!

YUP, I see the similarities and to me it is just plain beautiful :cool:

Last edited:

SR420

Please help me understand... I'm so confused. Please help me understand.

What is it about the M1A?
Why are these calling to me?

This MBR platform is 50 years old and still kicking ass.

Warning: buying your first one is just the beginning ...

Traditional.jpg

Railed.jpg