Please Explain No Follow-Through?

Flattop

The last several sessions at the range indicate I'm improving my shot groupings, getting tighter and tighter. This is good. However, my nice groupings are cosistantly at the 10 to 11 o'clock position. Looking at the shot chart, I got from this site, says that I'm "Pushing (Anticipating Recoil)" or "No Follow-Through". I understand anticipating recoil, but what is "No Follow-Through"? :confused: I understand it in pool, darts, hockey slap shots, even golf, but I have no clue what follow through is in shooting. Can someone explain this to me. Thanks. If it matters I shoot with a USP .45 full size.

CSKS

Pulling the trigger all the way to the end rather than anticipating let-off and stop there. The theory is that if you pull the trigger smoothly to the end it'll help in accuracy.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The term is also used to describe getting the sights lined up and pulling the trigger, but not keeping the sights lined up until the gun fires. Some people are careful about sight alignment, but after they pull the trigger they actually lose that alignment while the hammer is falling or before bullet exits the barrel (before recoil has much effect), thus losing control of the shot.

That is one reason some people find that in revolver shooting, firing double action can be more accurate since there is not so much sense of when the trigger is going to break and so not as much opportunity to lose the sights afterward.

(In trap and skeet shooting, the idea is the same, but follow through involves keeping the gun moving with the bird after trigger pull. In flintlock use, it is the need to keep the gun on target or following the target while the gun fires. All pretty much the same idea.)

Jim

WESHOOT2

WEIRD SCIENCE

Some folks stop shooting after they pull the trigger and look for the hole.

Go to a Zen-like state and 'continue' the shot.

artech

I had a shooting coach tell me once to realign the sights on target as soon as possible AFTER the recoil.

"Huh?" :confused:

You know what, though, it helped some. He explained it as you knowing you need to put the sights back on making your hands stay steadier, or something like that. It didn't make much sense to me either, but it did cut down on the flyers I was getting, and it tightened my groups a little more. Can't hurt, might help, cheap to try.

I have to say, though, if you are getting consistent groups then just move your sights until the group is where you want it to be. That's why they are adjustable, after all.:D

Hope this helps.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Follow through is intentionally concentrating on holding the gun on target even after the shot is fired.

What can happen is that if you relax as soon as the trigger breaks, you actually can begin relaxing a tiny bit too soon which will spoil some shots. So, Follow Through. Consciously keep the gun on target with the sights aligned even after the shot breaks.

Redneck2

If you want real world experience...

Have one of your friends with a revolver partially load a cylinder, skipping one or two. You'll find out real quick what you're doing wrong. I was probably doing what your chart said, anticipating recoil. At the trigger pull, I'd push "against the recoil" and when it's not there, the muzzle will get pushed left. I was shooting a Bisley and was also pushing (tilting) the muzzle down.

Using snap-caps also helps technique.

Makes you appreciate the guys in competition.

Hemphill

I had trouble with follow through for a long time. What helped me out the most was watching the frontsight lift. Next time you go out shooting, load up a mag but no target. Shoot through the mag while watching the front sight lift. If you do not see it lift you may be blinking, or otherwise loosing focus on the sight. If you are seeing the frontsight rise, shoot a group with the next mag, again watching the frontsight lift. Do not look at the target until you are finished. If the groups are still low, the load and sight setting may be off.

Chuck Ames

Redneck hit the nail on the head, and I'll expand a bit.

A couple of replies explained follow through well, but the best way to fix the lack of it, is the ball and dummy drill.

Have a buddy load a 3-5 round magazine with live rounds and 1-3 snap-caps mixed in. When you fire you will not know which is live or a snap-cap, and you will both see and feel whatever error you are making. You will then correct it on your own.

I have a tendency to dip the muzzle slightly and recover the shot before even firing, but after a bit of the BADD it clears right up. Take an hour or two and switch out with your shooting partner and you will not only fix your problem, you will tighten your shot group. I also used it to take a Major from 11 out of 50 to 41 out of 50 in 10 minutes. I tried to tell her what she was doing wrong, but until she felt and saw it herself, nothing helped.

Good luck,

Chuck