PLCAA and Electoral Politics

If you've been watching some of the debates, you've heard the claims that there's a law granting Special Snowflake legal protections to the gun industry. As the story goes, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act completely exempts manufacturers, marketers, and retailers from any sort of liability.

It's rare that we can call something an unqualified lie, but this is one of those cases.

During the late years of the Clinton administration, the Mayors of Chicago and Bridgeport decided to sue gun manufacturers for the damage inflicted by the criminal misuse of their products.

The whole mess culminated when Smith & Wesson, eager to avoid lawsuits, struck a bargain with the Clinton administration with a wide-reaching set of restrictions on the manufacture and sale of their products. The provisions of the agreement were to be, oddly enough, enforced by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

(Spoiler: it didn't work out well for S&W.)

HUD Secretary Andrew Cuomo (yep, one and the same) declared triumph and used the threat of costly litigation to intimidate manufacturers, gleefully warning of "death by a thousand cuts."

The problem is this: they weren't suing the manufacturers for making defective products or for irresponsible marketing. They were suing companies for making guns.

In 2005, the PLCAA was passed to clear this up. It's not a blanket protection. There are still provisions under which suits can be brought for design or manufacturing defects, transfer of firearms in violation of existing law, breach of contract or warranty, or illegal marketing.

The bill does not create any new or special legal principles; it simply clarifies existing law as it applies to a specific situation.

So, why is it big news now? Because some folks are assuming the public has forgotten the toxic legal atmosphere of the 1990's, and repealing the PLCAA would allow the gun industry to be gutted without having to involve the legislature.

Right now, it's just an electoral talking point, but it's a misconception that we need to clear up.

Tom Servo said:
Right now, it's just an electoral talking point, but it's a misconception that we need to clear up.
IMHO it's a lot more than a talking point. If ([when] Hillary becomes officially the Democratic nominee, I expect this to become a focal issue in her campaign. If it doesn't -- that only means it's part of her anti-gun strategy and that she doesn't want to publicize it because she doesn't want to build opposition before she's ready to act.

I would not characterize it as a "misconception." What it is, is disinformation, and I certainly agree that it needs to be cleared up -- widely and continually.

DaleA

Thank you for bringing this issue up. I think it's very important to get the truth out there.

Aguila Blanca, you might be prescient. This issue was raised during one of the Hillary Clinton/Bernie Sanders debates and you can listen to the particular argument and hear Hillary make the point the OP stated right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZjsl5QSCkM

Take a listen. It's under 5 minutes long.

Thanks again for raising this point.

raimius

Without getting too far into politics, criticising the PLCAA has become a significant campaign issue for Clinton, and Sanders has basically been wishy-washy on it. Clinton has repeatedly...mischaracterised...the facts of the issue, in order to make repealing the act seem reasonable.

We need to correct the facts and make it clear that any repeal is not designed to make the firearms industry's protection normal but actually an attempt to use the courts to bankrupt companies via frivolous lawsuits.

DaleA

In my Sunday, 5/22/2016, St. Paul MN paper I saw an article where Hillary Clinton is still making a point of wanting to repeal the PLCAA law and still attacking Saunders for supporting it.

What really irritates me (and it doesn't matter who is arguing the issue) is that the folks wanting to repeal the PLCAA are all impassioned and righteous and indignant about the 'gun manufacturers' having this special treatment and folk supporting it sound weak and apologetic and like they are making excuses for the 'gun manufacturers'.

The PLCAA, as I understand it, was necessary to protect the gun industry from being bullied by nonsense lawsuits.

44 AMP

Staff
I do wonder why the people who claim this aren't shut down with two simple questions.

#1) (to make it personal) What kind of car do you have?

#2) (the important one) If your car was stolen, and ran over a child killing them, do you think its right to sue the car maker? The dealership you bought it at?? or you?? etc.

The person physically committing the act is the responsible party. Period. Blaming any and/or everything else is a simply a lie. A lie many foolishly believe, but still a lie.

BarryLee

Unlike some previous anti-gun candidates who basically said something about evaluating reasonable changes, blah, blah. Hilary is all in on gun control and no one should doubt how aggressive she’ll be. Sorry I don’t have a link to the article, but apparently her campaign believes that aggressively pushing gun control is a winning strategy in this election. While changes related to taxes, education, trade, etc can be undone any loss of firearms freedom will be here to stay. So, for me I find it difficult to understand why any gun owner would vote for her.