Playing with a new Sig P250

Technosavant

This week I picked up a Sig P250 2SUM pack (9mm, night sights) from a private party... he had purchased it, set it aside, never fired it (it still had those Tyvek-esque wraps around both frame/slide sets), and decided to sell it to make room for something else. I picked it up for a quite good price (under $500), and had some time yesterday for a little recoil therapy of the pistol variety.

For those unfamiliar with this kit, it comes with a single fire control group "frame," and the appropriate pieces (frame, magazine, barrel, slide) for both the full size and subcompact guns. You can mix and match frames and top ends and move the fire control group between the frames. One minute it's a full size 9mm, the next it's a double stack subcompact.

My impressions:

Takedown/reassembly is a piece of cake. Swapping the fire control group over to the other frame is very simple... the only trick is that the takedown lever fits the full size frame very snugly.

Sights are normal SigLite night sights- no complaints, nothing much to say.

The slide is big and heavy, but in the full size frame it doesn't feel particularly top heavy. I don't know if that's because the grip fits my hand well, but it's more manageable than I expected. However, the slide thickness is enough that IWB carry is going to be uncomfortable... it is kinda chunky. Workable, but if you're used to carrying 1911s IWB, this thing is going to feel like a brick inside your belt.

The trigger seems to be the love/hate part of this. Traditional semiauto shooters tend to dislike the DAO trigger pull, those coming over from revolvers tend to like it. I'm a 1911 guy AND a revolver guy, and I'd say it's workable. It isn't crisp, if your standard of comparison is guns known for good triggers you'll find the pull long and mushy. If you compare it to a well worn K frame, you'll find the trigger pull acceptably long and rather smooth- no hitches until the hammer drops. With practice, it's easy enough to learn (and being a DAO, dry fire practice is very easy to do).

Accuracy was hard to gauge since I'm new to the gun and wasn't shooting from any kind of rest... I'd occasionally let a flyer go, but it was relatively simple to get the shots pretty well where I wanted them. Amusingly, the subcompact setup seemed more accurate than the full size, even though I couldn't get my pinky on the grip. Maybe I was concentrating a bit more, I dunno... either way, it isn't hard to make the gun do what you want it to do. It's going to take a better shooter than I am to plumb the depths of accuracy of this thing (the P250 is noted as being accurate, and I can see how it would be, but it will take more practice on my end).

Recoil was minimal. Naturally, the subcompact wanted to twist a bit more, but it wasn't hard at all to keep it under control. The full size gun was VERY easy to control... the 9mm just doesn't kick much at all in that size gun.

Generally, I'm pleased with the thing. I'm not looking forward to buying more magazines for it (Sig is awfully proud of their mags), but I was wanting to get back into 9mm and this gun will provide that. With the ability to get more P250 Xchange kits I can also dip my foot into other calibers at a minimal cost (about $300 each... cheaper than a quality standalone gun in those calibers). I do wish Sig sold the P250 fire control groups as a standalone item though; if you invest much into the Xchange kits, you're going to want another set of lockwork at some point so you can have more than one gun at once. Maybe that's something to keep in mind... if you have a P250 and start accumulating the kits, it might be wise to just order up a complete P250 gun just so you can shoot something else without stripping it down.

From what I've read, the early compact and subcompact grip frames had a few issues, but the new revision seems to be good... it is easy enough to get a new frame if you have an older model, and the new revision is said to be very reliable. Reliability with mine was great... the only failure was with the first magazine out of the subcompact; the round failed to chamber and was left sticking straight out the ejection port. It never did so again and the full size frame/slide combo ran 100%.

I'd have to say that at the prices Sig is asking for these, they're a good deal for a good gun. The DAO trigger takes some getting used to but can be safer than some of the shorter pull "safe action" safetyless designs. I'd recommend them to somebody looking for a versatile gun at a reasonable price. I'd especially recommend them to people with great experience shooting revolvers; those customers would find the trigger pull to be very easy to manage and would be able to transition with little trouble.

Jay24bal

Could not agree more...

I also am a proud owner of a Sig p250 - Compact model chambered in 40 S&W. It serves as my EDC. It is a bit wide to carry comfortably and it took some trial and error testing, but I found that the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe works great.

The trigger pull did take some getting used to as it is incredibly long. Once used to it though, it is great and breaks at the same point everytime.

I have run about 1200 rounds through mine and not had a single problem.

Good to know it is working for you.

I did get 4 different calibers mostly buying the kits. It allowed me to compare the different calibers using nearly the same pistol. I shot 9 mm, .357 Sig, .40 and .45 all in compact one day. In the end I liked shooting the 9 mm and .45 acp the most. .357 Sig was close but the cost of ammo takes some of the fun out of it. The .40 has a bit more snap to the recoil then I care for. I still have all the kits and don't plan to sell them. When the next shortage of ammo comes around, I should have a pistol to shoot what ever is on the shelf or close enough.

There is a down side shooting a P250 compared to a revolver. I tend to shoot more ammo per range trip through the P250 then I do with a revolver.:D