Played CMP for the first time tonight!

Kaylee

And that is the MOST fun I've had in ages.. neat!!

I'll say one thing, it SURE gives you respect for what those old guys on the line can do with just iron sights -- wowee!

Now.. that said.. I have to admit.. It seemed like the whole process had strayed overmuch from its original intent -- keeping the civilian populace more-or-less easy to train into soldiers.

The course of fire was obviously built around the old '03s, and could be a PITA with a gas gun at times. The gamesmanship was also a little disturbing.. "hold on while I buckle into my jacket, adjust the sling, hold up my windmeter, yadda yadda yadda" doesn't seem the wisest of ways to train potential recruits...

Further, as valuable as the straight out marksmanship focus was, I wonder if the aims of CMP might not be better served with the addition of a course of fire like "run to the firing line, hit prone, knock down as many silloettes as you can in 10 seconds" as well. But then again, being told "you're EXACTLY 3" low, you've been doing it consitently, this is what you're doing wrong" is nice feedback ya can't get on silloettes.. so a place for everything, I suppose.

Anyhow... MAJOR fun time... nice to hang out with the ol' experts on the line to.. WOW.

-K

:D

I say again..

:D :D

Steve Smith

WOOHOOO!

I hope my little primer helped you!

Yes, I know its a little far from the origin, but when you REALLY get into it, you learn that all the gadgetry and voodoo doesn't make much difference. The REALLY good shooters rarely use the stuff, which gets back to the original intent. The CMP EIC matches (Excellence in Competition) are closer to "battlefield" fighting than NRA HP matches by just a tiny bit because there are no sighters. It forces you to know what wind and elevation to have on the rifle to make a perfect shot before you ever fire the first time. The two are the same beyond that, so one teaches the skills for the other.

When you realy get a position down well, all that voodoo seems to drift away. Its been said lately that HP and the CMP isn't a group of "minutemen" as much as it is "Minuteman instructors" Since about half of us (not me, yet) are pretty roly-poly, we'd make poor fighters, but an awesome, nationwide set of instructors we'd be. The other half (including me) that can still go out to get the morning paper without breathing hard would of course do our duty on the line. All of this, however, is hypothetical.

Glad to hear you went out and had a good time with it. I'm sure they'll be looking for you again. On of the great things about HP is that you never shoot against anyone but yourself. When you and I shoot a match, we shoot TOGETHER.

So, what was your score? 50 or 80 shot match?

brembo

I loved the Garand clinic so much I started going OFTEN. Now I run around and help out before and after, but still participate in the "match". Seeing lotsa kids there now, 10-14 y/o's too, most of em shooting AR15's tho. Our local club has a few guys that are good enough to not embarass themselves at Perry, so the instructions are top-notch, and with some prodding they will even shoot a bit for us to ohhh and ahhh over. Recently the 9 time small-bore champ, National I think(Troy is his name, dunno his last) had a presentation, and I showed up for that. All I have to say for his skills, is OMG! I think a bench would mess up his steadiness, its unreal how stable the end of his barrel is while he's shooting, and the fact he DID NOT miss a thing. Great fella too, he walked all the kids(young ones, prolly some 9 y/o's there) thru a explaination, one on one, took forever, but the kids were all smiles. I think going to the clinics is going to be a routine from now on, I've met some of the nicest folks at em, just wish more 20 something single women would show up :D

Kaylee

When you and I shoot a match, we shoot TOGETHER.

So I've learned.. a couple of the guys let me try my hand on an old M1 while I was there.. WOW.. kinda like holding history. and it pinged! it pinged! what a beautiful sound.. :) They even let me take a couple enblocks home with me as a souvenier.. felt like my first time on a range again.

So, what was your score? 50 or 80 shot match?
50 shots. And you know what... I have no earthly idea. A neighbor was scoring my targets, and I didn't do the math before I left.. had too much fun dhootin' and talkin'. I did blow the first course 'cause I lost my zero, but once I got back on target things went pretty darn well, I think. Rushed the slowfire course though... ah well. I'll do better next time.

Its been said lately that HP and the CMP isn't a group of "minutemen" as much as it is "Minuteman instructors"
You know, I rather suspect that's been the case for generations. Who were the old geezers dropped behind enemy lines one time.. I think by Germany in WWII? Couldn't run for spit, but tore up anyone in range with their rifles..... I could see these guys doin' the same.

-K

sleeping dog

Ballistic, most places will let you compete with a 16" barrel as long as you have iron sights. It might be classed as "unlimited" instead of "service rifle", or it might disqualify you from winning a trophy. But you should be able to shoot. Most places are only concerned with safety and following the rules as far as number of rounds and shooting positions.

I shoot to see if I can score better than my best. And not put holes in any adjacent targets :)

I don't think I'll be on the winner's podium real soon, so nobody's going to measure my barrel, weigh my trigger pull, or give me a urine test.

Regards

I knew I should have bought the 20" upper, but when I saw that 16" with mid-length handguards, I couldn't resist. Now I can't decide if it's the best of both worlds...or the worst.

Steve Smith

There's more than a 20" barrel that goes into a good performing HP AR. The 20" barrel, actually has nothing ot do with performance but everything to do with being classified as a Service Rifle. Everything else that doesn't fit in the strict SR class is put into the Match Rifle category, where you'll be. The things that make a big performance difference are a free float tube so you can use a sling and not bend the barrel, and a good trigger. If you have the RRA 2 stage trigger is can be made into an awesome tool by John Holliger in IL for $25.

Trigger weights are only checked in the SR category, and then only at big matches.

Remember guys, check your Natural Point of Aim OFTEN and especially just after the mag change in your rapids!