Plastic tip ammo corrosion?

Mike38

I have been doing some deep cleaning in my gun room and came across a 15 year old box of 55 grain .224 Hornady V-Max bullets. I took a peek inside and noticed some corrosion forming on the jacket, just below the plastic tip. I’m sure this wouldn’t affect the accuracy, but I’m curious as to what causes this. Is there some kind of chemical reaction happening between the plastic tip and the jacket? I also found 300 rounds of loaded .223 with this bullet. The loaded ammo is the same age as the box of bullets only. There is no corrosion at all on these bullets. Must be a chemical reaction on the loose bullets, but none on the loaded rounds. Interesting.

m&p45acp10+1

I am unsure of that one. I never seem to have any that sit for longer than a couple of weeks. For some strange reason They seem to find thier way into my range bag, and blow up bottles of water off of the berm at the range. Seems that no matter how many I load, they seem to disappear quickly:p.

Looks like you have reason to shoot them all up now :cool:. They are too close to experation date so they need to be used up.:D

Sport45

I don't think there's any reaction going on between the polymer tip and the jacket. More than likely it's all in the way they were stored. Or maybe in handling the loaded rounds you wound up with a thin film of case lube on the bullets when you wiped them down after loading.