Plastic Guns: HK USP, Walther P99, Beretta Px4, or FN?

I'm thinking of getting a poly gun. Probably in a .40 S&W, for a little more caliber and umpff.

These are the ones I've been considering. Initially I was all over the P99, but now I have thrown the HK USP and the FN FNP-40 in the mix. (Of course it would be sweet to get an FN 57)

What have you guys experienced and what do you suggest?
I wish I could find a range that had all four to rent but I haven't found any.

Thanks for the advice.

SquattingDog

I can only speak on the behalf of the Beretta PX4 seeing how I own one. Mine is in 9mm. We will make this rather simple...

Pro's:

-Accurate

-Reliable

-Relatively Light Weight

-17 Mag Cap.

-Decocker/Safety (I really enjoy this feature)

-Backstraps

-Unique Rotating Barrel (better accuracy and reliability)

-Competitively Priced

-Low Glow Sights

-Backed by a great name in the gun industry

Con's:

-Large

-Hard to find Holsters, Magazines, Parts etc. (its still fairly new)

-Magazine springs are extremely stiff, after pushing 10 rounds down the magazine your thumb really starts to hurt. A speedloader is a must. Then again GLOCK magazines are just as bad.

-Magazines cost between $35-45 dollars

All and all I would highly recommend this gun. I have put close to 800 rounds through mine with one FTF using winchester white box FMJ 115gr.

predecessor

I too am considering a Walther P99 but in 9MM, but I've almost decided on the FNP-9. The PX4 Storm is/was an option as well. I already own a Stoeger Cougar 8000 and love it. The Storm is it's polymer descendant so I don't think one can go wrong with it. But after holding the FNP, I was very impressed and really liked how it felt in my hand.

I have a Five-seveN which I really enjoy so will probably pick up an FNP soon to take advantage of the "Shooter's Pack" that is available until the end of the year.

I'm anxious to hear from other owners of the Walther, FNP, or Storm as well before I make my final decision!

Wildalaska

They are all the same. I like the FN at this point due to the easy decocker and becasue it is cheap.

WildifyabuyplasticbuycheapplasticAlaska TM

LUPUS

I have owned an USP and a P99, both in 9mm, now own a P2000, also in 9mm.
For me, it is hard to decide among them.
USP and P2K are the most robustly built ones, especially the USP.
The trigger feel of them always fall in to mushy cathegory. The trigger of the P2K is a little bit more predictable and crisp, but not on the perfect side.
The barrel, slide and the other metal parts are flawless in HKs.
HKs are always damn accurate and reliable pistols. P2K gets the edge with my P226 on the accuracy chart.
USP also offers condition one option if it matters.
The P99 I owned was the original version. The thing I liked the most with it was the single action trigger pull and reset. Among the polymers, it is approximately the best trigger. It was also a very well balanced pistol, with a very long sight base according to the size of the pistol. It is one of the pistols that I do most regret selling it.
USP and the P99 fall into win/win cathegory IMHO.

Thanks guys for the advice and opinions. Although you certainly aren't making my decision any easier.

The FNP sure is quite a bit cheaper, is this a good thing or a "you get what you paid for" situation. Or is it a matter of the HK and Walther being a overpriced?

I need to handle all of them but can't find anywhere that has them all.

vertigoing

I have a Walther P99 AS in .40 and it functions flawlessly. It’s very accurate, reliable, easy to maintain and has the best ergonomics on the market. It was the first pistol to have interchangeable back straps. It eats everything I feed it and customer service is outstanding.

Cabela's would be the best bet. The one by my place will surely be packed this weekend with the NASCAR race just a few miles away. I might have to avoid Cabelas this w/end.

The ranges I've been too haven't had much selection on rentals though.

Vertigoing, the P99 was my first choice initially. Although I just can't seem to get my hands on one. I have handled a used SW99 but it didn't feel very solid to me as compared to a Beretta Px4 right next to it. It looked like it had some mileage on it and I would trust Walther makes there autos better.

Don P

PX4

would be my choice. I have them in 40S&W and 9MM. No complaints. I purchased a holster from this maker and both pistols fit like a glove. He also made me a holster for my SAXD 45 and SAXD 9MM which fits both pistols like a glove. Back to the PX4's, my personal choice above your other options.
http://www.garritysgunleather.com/index.htm:cool:
Nice man to deal with and he makes a quaility product:D

old_ironsights

I went to Thunder Ranch with a FNP-9 and it was flawless through over 1500 rounds. The trigger reset is easily discernable for follow-up shots. It's also a very accurate weapon for its barrel length

Disassembly and cleaning were a snap and holsters made for the Springfield XD fit it perfectly.

I sold my FNP-9 to buy a FNP-40 and have zero complaints about it, either. If the FNP-45 EVER comes out - as FN promised long, long ago - I'll probably sell my .40 and buy it.

Axion

I own a 9mm P99 and like the gun a lot. I do have to caution however that it is definitely the snappiest 9mm I've ever shot, about equal with my .40 P229 in recoil. I like it a lot in 9mm but wouldn't buy it in .40 S&W.

threegun

I own a PX4 storm in 9mm and have fired the FN, HK, Walther/S&W p99, along with xd, kahr, sigma S&W, and probably others that I have forgotten. After all the testing and buying & selling I settled on the GLOCK.

It was......it is the best of the best. Not saying some of the others weren't great guns heck I still own the PX4 but the Glock offers me the most ability in the same package. You would be doing yourself a great diservice by not giving it a non bias chance to compete. When I did I was drawn to the dark side LOL.

ShipWreck

I would state - the P99 is one of the best guns out there - IF U get it in 9mm A/S.

Look at the FNP afterwards :)

Come check out the FN Forum if ya wanna see some FNP owners and learn more... And, the Walther Forum is great to learn about the P99!

omnibus1967

ihave a FNP -9. 500 rds and it has been flawless. i like the external hammer and hammer drop. i think it is safer for me than a glock 19 which was my second choice. i feel more comfortable with a 11lb DA and 4lb SA than with the glock's 5.5lb trigger. I keep it at DA option....but with an external hammer, i can go to SA in 1 second or fire it DA.

it also fits my hand more naturally. FN is one of the most respected names in the world.

rugerdude

I bought the FNP-9 over the competition because of fit, size (I think this gun is really the perfect size for me) and the DA/SA design. It also looks like a USP, but for half the price.

The gun is accurate, and has a lovely trigger. Mag well is huge so speed loads are a snap, and it balances really well. A joy to shoot and cost me a mere $400 NIB.

Well, mine broke within 300 rounds. The decocking mechanism's frame cracked so sometimes when you tried to fire DA the hammer would only return to the decocked position (basically half-cock). I also had 1 FTF and numerous occasions where the slide did not lock back on an empty mag.

My results ARE NOT TYPICAL! The gun is being sent back to the factory, and I will give it a second chance when it comes back. I was also using silver bear ammo, which is crap.

I have never heard of this happening with the FNP from anyone else, so hey, I just got a lemon. At least the barrel didn't burst (glock ;)*)

*flame suit on.