PK380 or LC9

Marquezj16

I currently own a PK380. I love the way it handles and shoots and I have never had any issues with it whatsoever. It's usually my carry gun when wearing shorts or riding my motorcycle. I really thought I'd keep it forever. Here's the dilemna. I finally was able to look at a LC9 at my LGS. It has almost the same capacity in a more slim/compact frame. My brain started turning and thought of how having the LC9 would be more economical (have other 9mm pistols and lots of ammo). It would be easier to carry as it's almost a pocket pistol. All I'm seeing in my head is this will work.

I don't know much about the LC9, only read about it in articles/reviews which were mostly positive. Am I missing something? Should I trade the PK380 for the LC9?

Thanks in advance

AustinTX

Reviews on the LC9 seem largely positive, especially as far as reliability is concerned. I hate the trigger, but it works well for plenty of folks.

I would go with the LC9 between these two, but I should disclose that I strongly dislike the PK380 (made by Umarex for Walther, like the P22) for its zinc-alloy slide and overall cheap construction. The LC9 is smaller, fires a superior round, and is much more sturdily-constructed. If you can abide the trigger, I say go for it.

Mosin44az

Hmm.... I agree with Austin that the LC9 is likely better quality. And I can't stand the weird Walther mag release handles, so that brand is a no-buy for me anyway.

But you say you like the PK380. You don't know for sure that you will prefer the Ruger. Why not buy the Ruger, and if you DO prefer it, THEN you can trade the PK for something Else.....

Fargazer

I've shot both - AustinTX is correct. If you can live with a long, fairly robust trigger pull, the LC9 is the way to go.

The LC9 is a much better built pistol than the PK380; enough so that I'd recommend if possible learning to live with the LC9's trigger pull rather than going with the PK380.

Marquezj16

How much in trade should I ask for?

I have never traded a gun in to a LGS. I bought my PK380 new last year for $349. I bought two extra mags for it ($30 each). The LC9 is going for $369.
Should I ask for an even trade or take a lost? Maybe ask for $300 credit.

Thanks for your input.

Eghad

The trigger on the LC9 is nothing you would not encounter on a double action revolver. I have always thanked the one class where we were started on S&W revolvers and allowed to use nothing but DAO. It improved my technique all around.

I own several DA type semi auto pistols once you get the feel of the trigger after practicing its no problem.

I rreally like my LC9 its a really compact 9mm.

SHNOMIDO

In regards to trade in value, here's the way i see it. YMMV, IMHO, and if you get a better deal more power to you.

You bought it new for 350. If you expect the store to resell it used for 300, you should expect under $150. If you got any more than that, you would be making more profit than the store, which has to pay the employees, run the lights and water, and take up the shelf space.

Basically whatever they go for used, expect a little less than half of that, and if you can get more than half of that, you did good.

Now if you sell it privately for say 250, you're making an extra $100, and the buyer is saving $50, you both win. But that's if you're lucky enough to have a private buyer. The hit you take from the store is the convenience charge to not have to work and wait.

Now...
In regards to the OP, i would opt for the LC9 just because of the caliber difference. I'm in the market for a diamondback DB9 myself, im a fan of pocket size 9mms. I think if you can accurately fire and handle the recoil of the weapon, there's no reason not to bump up to 9mm in a similar size package.

I'd recommend considering the DB9 but apparently there's a lot of concern about quality and reliability.

Marquezj16

Wow you take that much of a hit with a trade-in?!?! I guess I'll have to check what their offer would be and determine from there. I don't think I'd take less than $250 for it. If it gets lower than that then I will just buy the LC9 outright and either keep or sell my PK380.

Thanks SHNOMIDO for the info. I guess I won't be as shocked when I go in tomorrow if I get offered $150.

Thanks everyone else for your input about the LC9.

AustinTX

Wow you take that much of a hit with a trade-in?!?! I guess I'll have to check what their offer would be and determine from there. I don't think I'd take less than $250 for it. If it gets lower than that then I will just buy the LC9 outright and either keep or sell my PK380.

You're always going to take a massive hit selling your used pistol to a gun store. As the other poster said, you're paying a lot for the convenience of instant money and not having to advertise the gun and search for a buyer. You'll do much better if you're able to arrange a private sale. Consider selling it on one of these forums, on Gunbroker, or on a well-known firearm buy/sell/trade forum for your particular state, if possible (texasguntrader.com in Texas, for example).

Marquezj16

$245

I stopped by today and my LGS initially offered $235 for it and I asked for $250. They countered with $245. I must admit that I almost pulled the trade right there. They also said they would trade out any ammo I have that is in a full manufacturer box. This sounds a lot better than the scenario ($150 offer) in my head. Even my wife says go for it. I'm gonna make my decision after lunch.

Your thoughts???

Last edited:

zombieslayer

Im a huge fan of Walthers. But not the Pk380 or P22. While I wouldnt want an lc9, its a way better gun for all intents and purposes.

AustinTX

If that's the offer you got, take it before they change their minds. That's very generous, and you very likely wouldn't do any better in a private sale.

LockedBreech

The LC9 is a nice little nine, seems like it'd disappear in the waistband or a particularly large pocket. If I had the spare cash I'd grab one. I'm also influenced by the flawless performance of it's little bro.

I share Austin's feelings about the PK380. I was not impressed when I played with one.

jonboyc

I had the LC9, it shot great but I really wanted something I could use as a pocket gun and it was just a little too big and I already have an IWB 9mm. So it wasn't a great fit for me. As for trade in value, my LGS will give 70% of what he would sell it for used. I've also sold a few guns privately as it's easy to do here in Missouri. One example is actually the LC9. I bought it for 300 and sold it for 300 two months later. In my area it seems most people will ask what the gun shops ask for a used one and people actually buy because they save what they would've had to pay the gun shop in tax.

Marquezj16

My new LC9

I went ahead and made the trade.
Here it is after its first cleaning. I'm hoping to hit the range in 30 minutes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• LC9.jpg
    LC9.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 487
  • LC9 (2).jpg
    LC9 (2).jpg
    248 KB · Views: 488

Cheapshooter

Don't trade, just buy!!! Rule #1 below!!!:D

I have shot the LC9, it's a great CCW firearm. Acceptable accuracy for a pocket pistol. Surprisingly well controlled recoil. It actually felt lighter than my Elsie Pea 380. A LGS had a sale last week on them for $339. I almost bought one, but had a Cimarron 45 LC set in my hart for this months purchase, which I made last Sunday. I carry the LCP in a pocket holster, or a S/A XD40 Sub in an IWB rig. I can still see a use for the LC9. I might still go to the other store to see if they still have them for the sale price. Next month is just a few days away!!!:D

predecessor

Here it is after its first cleaning. I'm hoping to hit the range in 30 minutes.

munch...munch...(set's popcorn aside)

Tell us how your range session went! I'm interested in seeing if you don't say something like this:

"Well, the LC9 is much harder to control than the PK380 and I'm not as accurate with it and I can't shoot it as fast as my PK380 - I'm wondering if I did the right thing now :D"

I agree with other posters - the PK380 is NOT built like a duty pistol. Then again, it's not MEANT to be a duty pistol. It's a soft shooting, easy recoiling occasional range gun that you can carry if you like. A great gun to cut your teeth on (and better for a new shooter than the LC9). And while the LC9 doesn't have a zinc alloy slide, it's NOT built like a duty pistol either. There are better pistols in it's class...

If you want a slim frame and a pistol that IS built like a duty gun, try the Walther PPS :cool:

Coltman 77

Walther PPS or HK P2000 SK. :) Proven reliability and quality.

Are they more expensive? Yes.

Are they worth it? Absolutely.

(BTW, the PK380 isn't made by Walther, they have it made by another company).

Marquezj16

what i wanted

Took it out for a quick function check. I used 4 different types of ammo (Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics FMJ, Hornady Steel Match HAP, Hornady Custom Ammo XTP, and Winchester SXZ 9). It had zero malfunction. Most accurate with Winchester (2" 5 shot group, standing unsupported, 7 yards :D). Trigger was like the double action from my 92 FS, but it's smooth. It's snappy but I managed to shoot good groups. :)

I bought it as a pocket carry and love the way it fits in my shorts. I'll probably get a pocket holster just to keep it more upright when I carry it. :cool:

Last edited: