Pistols with large following that don't perform well

What pistols have you bought or shot that are very popular, yet do not perform up to expectations?

For me,

1. S&W 3rd Gen (pathetic quality control, very poor SA trigger, sub par accuracy, and no reliability to speak of)

2. Colt 1911's (sloppy quality control, mediocre accuracy, and sub par reliability)

3. Beretta 92 (only complaint I have is sub par accuracy--remember, I am an accuracy nut and anything less than good accuracy is unacceptable to me)

4. Most Glocks (due to mediocre accuracy in most models. The exceptions being the G21,30, 35 which tend to be the most accurate Glock models).

[Edited by Quantum Singularity on 02-07-2001 at 03:43 PM]

I'd also say, for me, S&W semi-autos. With the exceptions of the 4506 and 3913, both of which fit my hand well, I find them to be ergonomically challenged, way overpriced, and ungainly as hell.

Another, for me, is Glock. I can shoot them VERY VERY well, but they just don't feel right in my hands, and I can't get over that. The original Glocks, which had very different grips, were much better.

My Beretta 92 (straight 92, frame mounted safety, no decocker, Italian made) is UNGODLY accurate. I can only imagine what it would be like if I had a set of target sights on it.

seadog

Had a 3913 Smith that would not group worth poop.
A freinds shot into about 21/2" at 25 yds. Whazzup with that? Crappy QC is what it is. Gotta agree with Irwin on the Beretta. Seriously accurate piece.

SlackO

Beretta 92

The gun was beautiful, felt good, had nice fit/finish, but I just wasn't able to shoot it accurately.

Mark King

The worst letdown would be the Smith 4013.. One of the most unreliable guns I've ever owned. Also was inaccurate and I hated the ergonomics. It went away in a trade for a Glock 21. Good trade!

The second would be my Glock 23.. Ergonomics are ok and the gun is far more accurate than the 4013, but it broke on me twice. A chipped extractor both times. The first one that broke pretty much caused the gun to malfunction on every shot. The second axtractor breakage caused intermittent failures to extract. I'm reluctant to carry it any more as you know how Murphy works..

Mark / FL

LightningLink

Kinda funny to see several accuracy comments about Beretta 92.

I have a Beretta 84 (Italian made) that can outshoot my 92 (US made) any day of the week (accuracy wise). The 92 is one of the most comfortable, easiest shooting pistols I've ever shot, but it does lack something in "out of the box" accuracy.

LL

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All:

I guess my vote of NO CONFIDENCE would rest with
Smith & Wesson's Sigma series.:( Simply one word describes
them: JUNK!!!:D:)

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Matt VDW

Ala Dan,

I don't think that the Sigmas qualify as being "very popular". If they do have a large following, the followers aren't nearly as vocal as the Glocksters. ;)

Beretta 92 QC?

With all the similar complaints regarding the 92's accuracy, I wonder if there is a quality control problem with Beretta? After all, two people so far swear that the 92 is very accurate, and others have had the opposite experience. This implies a modest QC problem IMO.....since the range of accuracy seems to vary a lot per pistol.

oktagon

The most notorious pistol besides 1911 that has a huge following, and yet not always a good performer is Walther PPK. Many of them can be considered "single shot" esp with hollow points, and yet many people (me included) carry them as backup (and sometimes primary) piece.
I think that alot of it has to do with estetic appearance of this gun, not to mention its glorification by certain series of books and movies.

Quantum,

My Beretta 92 might be in a completely different class.

Mine was made in the 1970s in Italy.

It differs significantly from American-made guns:

1. It has no firing pin block.

2. It has no slide break safety stud.

3. It has no decocker.

4. The safety is mounted on the frame, and allows for cocked & locked carry.

5. The magazine release is on the bottom left grip, not behind the trigger.

I've never really had any great interest in the Beretta, but I got this one simply because it was too good a deal to pass up, and I got it with 5 high-cap. magazines.

My cost was under $300, and essentially I got it for free, as I was working at the gunshop where I bought it.

Mr Irwin,

I agree with you. I have experience with the 1970's vintage Berettas and they were very accurate in general. I think that the QC has declined as a whole in most US products beginning in the 1980s. The US used to make great cars for example, but over the last 20 years I have seen the US cars sink to JUNK level. It is ashame that our workforce as a whole has lost its sense of pride and work ethic. Since a good number of new Berettas are now made in the US, it does not surprise me that the QC is lacking.

beemerb

A number of guns;
1- Glock-This is not a knock.The gun does not fit me and thats all.
2-Ruger P 90-Best group I could get out of it was 8" at 20 yds.I tried it with about 8 different brands and typs of ammo.I allso had a couple of other shooters try it with same results.Allso didn't like the ergonomatics.
3-S&W sigma.Worst triggers I have ever felt.
4-colt 1911's.Cost way too much to get to function the way it should be out of the box.
5-rossi,Pure junk out of the box.No QC period.If you don't have problems within the first 50 rds consider your self very lucky.

krept

Para P13s and I don't seem to get along.

I also did not like a .44 Mag Anaconda when I fired it. Couldn't hit a dern thing with it, even in SA and it made the Desert Eagle .44 look like a tackdriver. Cool looking revolver, however. I especially don't like the cylinder release.

Onslaught

I know I'll get REAMED for this, but...

Glock 27 :(

I WANT to like them, but they just FEEL all wrong in my hands. That hump on the back goes RIGHT into the first thumb joint, (the one connecting the thumb to the hand) and just plain FEELS WIERD! I never feel like I'm holding onto it, just holding it. Now the 30 on the other hand, THAT's the sweetest feeling mini-Glock I've ever held! The 27 should feel like that. It's also FAT, but if it wasn't so uncomfortable to grip, I'd own one anyway.

That's the only gripe I have about it... Other than that, it's accurate, dependable, blah blah.

vanfunk

On the Beretta 92

Just another data point on the Beretta 92. I recently purchased a NIB "unissued Italian police surplus model 92 SB". I'm not certain when it was made- probably mid-eighties. The workmanship is superb; polished blue slide, 9 lb double action trigger, crisp, light SA (with a little overtravel, to be honest). It is also unerringly accurate and reliable. I have only one experience with the USA made 92's, and that was just to shoot the qualification score for my CCW. That one didn't impress me either positively or negatively. But my "new" old eye-talian 92, ciao bella!

Russell92

Walther PPK. they get a lot of their popularity from the 007 movies. i feel they don't have a use anymore, you can carry guns like a Kahr MK9 or Glock 26 that are just about as concealable but offer a lot more firepower.

i don't feel Glocks or Berettas are at all over-rated. both my Berettas, 92FS and 92G Elite, are extreemly accurate and reliable.

Quantum,

I'll have to disagree with you regarding American autos.

The cars of the 1970s & 80s were absolute junk, with unbelievable problems.

Chevy Vega/Chevette
The GM Q-cars.
The Chrysler K-cars.
The list goes on and on.

It was only after the Japanese started killing US auto market share that they started listening to American consumers about the problems with the cars and doing something about it.

If you review the big name magazines from the time period up through today, you'll see the perceived and actual gap between American and Japanese cars narrowing significantly.

Some of this is due to a slip in Japanese cars, but American cars are still light years from what they were in the 1970s/80s.

Now back to your regularly scheduled gun-related discussion. :)