Pistol trajectory inside 25 yards

JohnKSa

Administrator
A post on another forum about adjusting pistol sights to compensate for range distances made me drag out my FWB 65 and shoot some targets at varying ranges. This gun is shooting about 415fps with the pellets I'm using, so we can be assured that the trajectory is FAR more pronounced than any firearm pistol...

Using the center of the group shot at 10 feet for a reference, here's what we have. The numbers are the position of the center of the group relative to the group shot at 10feet.

10 feet--> 0.0"
15 feet--> -0.1"
20 feet--> +0.4"
25 feet--> +0.6"
30 feet--> +0.5"
35 feet--> +0.7"

In short, if you're seeing significantly different point of aim/point of impact discrepancies (center of your groups are moving more than 0..7") at typical pistol ranges (under 25 yards) the problem is not with your sights or the trajectory of the pistol. Most likely the issue is that you're jerking the trigger and the effect on the point of impact is more obvious at longer ranges.

If you want to extend these results to a 9mm, multiply the distances by 2.8. Should be close enough to get a rough idea.

Here are the targets for your viewing pleasure and amusement. Ok, ok, I had a little too much caffeine today... :eek:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 10 and 15 feet.jpg
    10 and 15 feet.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 495
  • 20 and 25 feet.jpg
    20 and 25 feet.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 494
  • 30 and 35 feet.jpg
    30 and 35 feet.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 484

Tim Burke

An excellent point. It is possible, although unusual, for the sights to be off sufficiently to cause difficulty inside of 25 yards, but I don't ever recommend changing the sights until the problem is reproduced with a shooter that is known to have good trigger control.
How do you know if a shooter has good trigger control? He shoots small groups, like the examples posted.

Tom2

Or he has a good trigger to control, unlike the monstrosities on most production guns nowadays. Some hand drills have better triggers than some pistols.

Tim Burke

I've seen a lot of people yank truly wonderful triggers. If a shooter has good trigger control, he should be able to manage a lousy trigger, although his groups may suffer somewhat, and it'll take a lot more concentration than it would with a good trigger.

GoSlash27

Tom2,
Too true! :D
Of course, most pistols shoot somewhat higher than the example posted above (source) but the same premise remains.
Here's why I like adjustable sights: each pistol generates it's own unique sight picture. I struggle with some of them because the offset is in a position that hinders repeatability.
Adjustable sights are pretty nice for putting the offset where the shooter can intutitvely find it. The best spots (IMO) form a geometrically "perfect" impact point.
These are my favorites:
pointshoot.jpg

A: PB right through the dots
B: PB right on the leaf
C: PB at the apex of a right triangle
D: PB at the apex of an equilateral triangle

Some people can't work with sight pictures where the impact point is obscured by the sights and many people advise against it...but my best results are obtained by setting point-blank through the dots.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Some people can't work with sight pictures where the impact point is obscured by the sights and many people advise against it...but my best results are obtained by setting point-blank through the dots.
For rapid shooting, that's probably the best. For more precise results (particularly with a small aiming point) it's hard to beat the "ball on the fence post" approach ("C" in your list of options). At 35 feet, the black bullseye on the targets posted above was smaller than the front sight. ;)
An excellent point. It is possible, although unusual, for the sights to be off sufficiently to cause difficulty inside of 25 yards, but I don't ever recommend changing the sights until the problem is reproduced with a shooter that is known to have good trigger control.
The original question (on another forum) was asking about sight adjustments. The OP was having problems with the point of impact dropping as he changed the target range from 15 feet to 25 feet.

If anything, the point of impact should RISE slightly between those distances. But practically speaking even that amount of change is very small as the test shows.

Handgun "accuracy" problems are almost invariably shooter issues. As you say, before the gun is modified in any way (even to the extent of adjusting the sights) there should be some sort of a sanity check.

Here's a post I made on another forum on how to deal with "inaccurate" pistols.

HammerBite

The original question (on another forum) was asking about sight adjustments. The OP was having problems with the point of impact dropping as he changed the target range from 15 feet to 25 feet.
I saw that post and it bothered me a bit. The only way I can see that happening is if the sights are so badly maladjusted that the bullet's initial flight path and the line of sight are divergent or parallel. But that is exactly what can happen if you have an overly tall front sight. You basically have no zero point anywhere.

JohnKSa

Administrator
The only way I can see that happening is if the sights are so badly maladjusted that the bullet's initial flight path and the line of sight are divergent or parallel.
Yes, that could cause it. However, even with a situation like that, the difference in point of impact due to range (moving from 15' to 25') should be less than an inch.