Pistol Refinishing...recommendations?

PLF

Alright, it's been some time, I've got my P226 and a CZ that need a little face-lifting. I used to be up on all the various finishing types out there, NP3, Polymere-based, Metacol, etc....so what's new? I'm looking at a tougher finish (duh!), I like the bonded types (polymere-based for lubricity), and I'd like to get my P226 in OD (suits my military background :D ); also, my CZ should be the easiest since it's all steel, but don't the SIG alloy types create different shades of finishing between the slide and frame? Appreciate any recommendations...thanks

PLF

CastleBravo

For the toughest dark-colored finish the answer is probably Bodycote's Boron Carbide, the only downside to it is that it is very new and not necessarily "proven." If you don't mind a bright-colored gun Hard Chrome is probably still the best. If you need more corrosion resistance than hard chrome (and less wear resistance) NP3 is very cool. Most of the spray-on finishes like ArmorTuff aren't very tough at all... if you are going to go with one of those you should probably stick to Black-T.

So the answer is... it depends. :D

dsk

In my opinion, Armor-Tuff is a scam. Wilson's uses it almost exclusively now, with big ads for it in the gun magazines. As far as I'm concerned, it's simply a way for them to do cheap refinishing in-house and make lots of bucks off of it. I've noticed Wilson is using more and more shortcuts in the manufacture of their "custom" firearms, yet still charging twice what a decent Kimber will cost you.

End of rant.

Pistol Meister

My pistolsmith has warned me about NOT removing the anodizing from the alum/alloy frame prior to any finishing. The carbon or stainless steel is a different matter. That is why some outfits (like Tripp Research) won't hard chrome over aluminum/alloy.

RKD

PLF

Thanks for the replies...any experience with shootiniron.com and their Tuffgun process? They have a zink parkerization process + a gunkote molly combination that sounds pretty good. His prices seem about the best I've found,

PLF

stringj

The Black-T process is offered in OD. I've had 4 H&Ks and my Sig-Sauer P225 done in the black version. The frame on the P225 now perfectly matches the slide. I'll next be sending a P220 for coating to Mr. Birdsong.

Jerry

IamNOTaNUT

I just recently got my pistol back from Mac's. I have mixed feelings about the process. Obviously I like the "no rust for life" guarantee, but I am not 100% satisfied with the appearance of the finish. It appears to have been overapplied to a couple of ares, think of what happens when you spray paint something with too heavy a coat. I am hoping that when this wears down a bit it will look better.

Secondly tell him NOT to do the interior parts if you plan to have any action work done. My gunsmith told me he would never accept another pistol like this one again because of the thick coating he had to get through just to polish the parts that needed it.

And finally, it appeared as though Mac clamped my barrel into a fixture to polish the feedramp and the chamber. Unfortunately, the fixtue left tool marks and a burr on the edge of the feedramp. This has smoothed out a bit with use, but I really don't expect that type of abuse when I send a pistol out for such work.

Although the finish is "rougher" than I expected with the park underneath, the look is growing on me every day. And how could I possibly dislike a Sig with a trigger by Teddy Jacobsen. I like the finished result, but wonder if I would have liked a Robar better . . .

Coltdriver

PLF,

I had Mac refinish an AK.

It came out excellent, very nice looking, good self lubricating properties, and so far very tough.

On the downside the finish is a bit rough in that if you run a barrel patch over it the finish will snag lint and getting it off will make you crazy.

For a rifle I would use it any day. On a pistol it may just be a bit too rough.

I just dropped off a HP with the Colorado Trades people to have it shipped off to Diamond coat for a boron carbide finish.

Do a look up on poster ArmySon on this forum and take a look at his .45 done in this finish. It is stunning. Supposed to be tough and self lubricating too.