Pistol Primer question

HiBC

The firearm is the Ruger .44 SPL Bisley Spl.The loades have been published in Handloader and a Ross Seyfried article on the Bisley.

These loads are Ruger only and not safe or suitable for arms of less strength.

I have one,intend to shoot these loads.A friend experimented with his.

Published was 19 gr H-110 for .240 gr SWC hardcast,18 for 280 gr custom mold WFP. Loads specified Fed Large Pistol Magnum primer.

My friend reduced initial loads 1 gr,just because.Note,H-110,like 296,its not good to reduce charges.

Result,pretty good,maybe,except the cases are smoked some.We want better.

My theory,maybe.Some primers produce more gas,some produce hotter flame to be a magnum primer.

I am guessing the primer is blowing the bullet out of the case before the powder gets fired up to pressure.The cork is out of the bottle,gas crawls down the case.

My remedy,try just a plain old WW or CCI large pistol primer.

Anyone know,for sure,how Rem primers compare?I think I'm looking for hot flame,less gas volume.

And,yes,we do apply a good strong crimp into the groove.Thanks

TMD

H110 seems to burn better and give more consistancy with a heavy crimp and because of its difficulty to ignite and burn properly needs a magnum primer.

tkglazie

Was the only problem with the original loads the sooty cases? Were the results good? Some of my most accurate, reliable mid-range loads leave sooty cases.

moxie

If loading hot Ross Seyfreid loads, I'd stick with the exact components he used.

Then again, using regular primers for hot loads has pretty much been vindicated in recent years. Don't know when Seyfreid published those loads.

I don't think your theory about the bullet being driven by the primer before the powder can catch up is anything to worry about. At any rate, the difference in propulsive force between regular and magnum primers is not, IMO, significant. If the magnums are doing it, so are the regular primers.

Your best bet is to chrono your loads, with and without magnum, and with different brands. That's the acid test. Speculation doesn't matter much.

GeauxTide

H-110/296 have always blackened my cases, even with heavy crimps and minimum belling for bullets. I have this exact revolver and I went with 17gr of 2400 and standard primers under Rem240SP for a performance load. I also used 8gr of Unique under Missouri 240 Cast. No black case mouths and 1191 fps for the heavy load and 975 for the moderate load. I didn't group them, but I could hit an 8" aluminum pie pan at 100 yards with regularity. Bryan Pearce did an exceptional piece in Handloader on the Lipseys Blackhawk. If I want more power, I pick up my SBH.

HiBC

1191 fps with a 240 gr is fine.Nothing wrong with 2400,its what Elmer used.

Thanks.

I,too have a SBH,and agree no need to beat the Lipsey to death.

WESHOOT2

no

Stick with the Federal primers specified, and accept that your gun's chambers are not the same size as someone else's chambers.