Pistol powders

mnoirot64

Anyone having any luck finding pistol powders yet? I had a short road trip and bought a pound each of Bullseye, CFE Pistol and Auto Comp. I've never loaded with Auto Comp before so I'm pretty stoked to try it. Anyone else using it?

Machineguntony

Powder types seem to come in waves.

Three months ago, I bought a ton of pistol powder. I probably have about hundred plus pounds of various pistol powder. I couldn't find any rifle powder.

Here's a pic of some of my pistol powder, Longshot and AA5.

Then two months ago, I could find a ton of magnum rifle powder, but no small rifle powder and no pistol powder. I don't shoot magnums and was annoyed that I was running out of .223 powder.

Right now, I can find a ton of rifle powder, but no pistol powder, and not too much magnum powder. I now probably have over a hundred pounds of rifle powder.

My guess is to give it a month or two.

Sid

I have been using AutoComp in my 9mm Witness Match for some time and I would recommend it. I use it with 124 grain jacketed bullets. It gives excellent accuracy, meters easily and burns cleanly.

Sevens

I'm really glad no one is hoarding powder.
He shoots full auto. He's consuming powder. And whether he was consuming powder, hoarding powder, or pouring milk on it and eating it for breakfast, how is that going to impact your world?

Don't answer --
I'll help! :D

He's buying powder from the folks who distribute the powder that the manufacturers MAKE. This will make them manufacture more, more, more of it.

And when we see bare shelves because of ridiculous political reasons, it might make those who didn't prepare well prepare better next time.

I started handloading before Bill Clinton was in office, so I've seen my share of droughts in this industry. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, well, we won't get fooled again! :cool::p

Nick_C_S

or pouring milk on it and eating it for breakfast.

With my culinary background, I'm pretty sure that would yield an undesirable flavor profile. :D

I get your point Sevens. Machineguntony is completely 100% within his right to purchase as much powder as his purveyor will allow. More power to you Mr. Tony. With no animosity on this end.

The only part I question is the:
This will make them manufacture more, more, more of it.

After some 19 months of this shortage going on; and there's less powder now than there was a year ago - much less. I would suppose it's safe to say that if the manufacturers could increase production, they would have increased production by now. Obviously they haven't.

AKhog

All you can get at Cabela's in Anchorage is rifle and 50BMG powder. Haven't been able to find pistol in months. As soon as anybody gets some, it is gone in hours or minutes.

mnoirot64

All you can get at Cabela's in Anchorage is rifle and 50BMG powder. Haven't been able to find pistol in months. As soon as anybody gets some, it is gone in hours or minutes.

That's the same way it is here in Tennessee. Your timing needs to be very good. If you walk in an hour after they unpack it, it's gone. I lucked out on getting the pound of Bullseye on Wednesday. The guy at the counter knows me and they were keeping it hidden behind the counter.

Xfire68

All you can get at Cabela's in Anchorage is rifle and 50BMG powder.

I thought that is the only caliber people in Alaska carry?

Yes pistol powder is hard to find right now. A big part of the problem is people buying it that don't even reload and selling it on the net for 2x-3x what it sold for.

Same with .22 LR's.

hodaka

A big part of our current problem is people purchasing more components than they will use in 10 years when they have an opportunity. Certainly they have the "right" to do so, it just prolongs the shortage. The manufacturers are running full out. In 10 years garage sales will be full of primers and powder. I keep about a year's worth of stuff to use at my current rate of consumption.

marine6680

I found CFE pistol at Cabela's and the local PSA store... I was lucky.

I bought a few pounds and my fiance... after giving me grief over spending money on more than just a pound or two... decided to get a couple pounds too. (she been on a bit of a weird flip flop mood lately :eek: :rolleyes:)

I could go through over 1000rds a month if I had the ammo to do so, but lack of powder and higher factory ammo costs have slowed me down to 5-6 hundred.

Powder definitely comes in waves... A hodgdon rep said they manufacture in batches... I read it somewhere... :cool:

Nick_C_S

Still waiting for some of those "waves" to hit here.

Actually, three or four weeks ago, I did get a Lb each of Unique and Power Pistol. My LGS had tiny batches come in over a several week period. I could have gotten more - and was tempted - but I did the cool thing and left them for others.

However, if I cross paths with W231 or Bullseye, I may not be so benevolent :p

mnoirot64

Still waiting for some of those "waves" to hit here.

Actually, three or four weeks ago, I did get a Lb each of Unique and Power Pistol. My LGS had tiny batches come in over a several week period. I could have gotten more - and was tempted - but I did the cool thing and left them for others.

However, if I cross paths with W231 or Bullseye, I may not be so benevolent :p

I like Power Pistol like you like Bullseye. If you weren't so far away we could do some horse trading.

Mike40-11

Seeing a LOT more pistol ammo on the shelves these days. Ammo plants having been running flat out for over a year now. That's consuming massive amounts of the limited powder supply.

marine6680

Unfortunately small stores and market areas get left out sometimes when the wave does hit. Heck even bigger areas...

Not long back I was chatting with a man from a city over, about an hour and a half drive, who popped in looking around a local store while he was in town... He was surprised at the lack of pistol powder here... And we have a Cabela's, and several large gun stores here. He apparently had no big issue getting his hands on powder in the stores down his way. He said it wasn't in large stock amounts but regular enough shipments to enable finding it easy with a little looking.

Nick_C_S

mnoirot64 wrote:I like Power Pistol like you like Bullseye. If you weren't so far away we could do some horse trading.

Yeah, I have about 1-2/3 Lbs of Power Pistol. Zero Bullseye - but hundreds of loaded match rounds ready to go for the season with it. So I'm not destitute, powder wise. I also have over a Lb of W231, and over 2 Lbs of AA2. So I can make bullets.

I like Power Pistol a lot. I just don't shoot that way much, so to speak. It's potent. But I shoot a lot of target/competition 38 Special stuff. Power Pistol might be a bit much for that application :D

My 38 defense load is a Speer swaged 158 SWC HP with a good dose of PP. It'll get 'er done. And it makes really throaty 185g HP's for 45 ACP - real barn burners. Yeah, Power Pistol rocks. Very impressive propellant.

BTW, have you ever noticed that Power Pistol looks exactly like Bullseye? It does. I've poured them into their caps and did a side-by-side in full sunlight. No visual difference whatsoever.

SVTCobra306

I had heard that Power Pistol is actually bullseye with a different cut, changing the burn rate. I do know that it is the loudest, flashiest powder I've ever tried out of a 9mm.

It comes in spurts here in the Midwest too, I am seeing the occasional pound of pistol powder but it's rare again now. For a couple months it looked like the pistol stuff was coming back pretty well, I should have grabbed an 8 lber of HS-6 back then LOL. I have been seeing a lot of small-medium rifle powder lately, like BL-C2, H335, W748, and even some Varget.

mnoirot64

One of the LGS I purchased powder from, Simmons Sporting Goods, in Bessemer, AL, had Varget on their shelf. That is the first time I'd seen Varget in almost a year. They had an assortment of pistol powders, but no Bullseye, Power Pistol or Unique. I was pleasantly surprised to see quite a bit of CFE Pistol. Bought a pound of it, so I have nearly three pounds of it. I really like how efficiently it makes gobs of power. Plus it's clean burning. But, what I was most surprised to see was the Winchester Auto Comp. I haven't seen it in a very long time. Anyone know if Hodgdon markets the same powder in their line?

mnoirot64

Yeah, I have about 1-2/3 Lbs of Power Pistol. Zero Bullseye - but hundreds of loaded match rounds ready to go for the season with it. So I'm not destitute, powder wise. I also have over a Lb of W231, and over 2 Lbs of AA2. So I can make bullets.

I like Power Pistol a lot. I just don't shoot that way much, so to speak. It's potent. But I shoot a lot of target/competition 38 Special stuff. Power Pistol might be a bit much for that application :D

My 38 defense load is a Speer swaged 158 SWC HP with a good dose of PP. It'll get 'er done. And it makes really throaty 185g HP's for 45 ACP - real barn burners. Yeah, Power Pistol rocks. Very impressive propellant.

BTW, have you ever noticed that Power Pistol looks exactly like Bullseye? It does. I've poured them into their caps and did a side-by-side in full sunlight. No visual difference whatsoever.

I have noticed the similarities between BE and PP. Does Power Pistol have a similar burn curve as Bulleye? I know the latter goes from safe to dangerous very quickly.