Pistol-length Gas System

presence

Im looking to buy a .300AAC Blackout upper for the PSA lower I picked up some time ago. One such upper on PSA's website is a 16" model equipped with a pistol-length gas system. Is this a common setup for the .300AAC Blackout on an AR platform? What are the advantages/disadvantages of such a short gas system on a 16" barrel?

Also, I assume the lower I purchased was probably more than likely configured for .223/5.56 because of its popularity. Would a different size buffer be recommended for the .300AAC Blackout?

Thanks in advance!

rickyrick

Should take the same buffer and all, according to the collective. I have built a 300bo upper but it is untested.

So, I'm saying I've heard and read that it will work, but I haven't any experience except looking into it to build my own.

Lots of really knowledgeable people here, they will help you out.

Mobuck

Pistol gas is common on any length barrel with the 300AAC. The cartridge uses much faster burn rate handgun powders than rifle type cartridges so the gas pressure can be tapped closer to the breach w/o excessive over gassing.
I didn't go that route and both my 300's are carbine gas 16". One needs a lightweight bolt carrier to function properly with sub-sonic loads while the other seems OK with any ammo selection.
Standard buffer works for me.

superspirit

I have a psa 300blk 16" upper with pistol gas system. and a standard carbine buffer. It has operated flawlessly since day one. subs or supers it doesnt care.