Pistol holster sewn into pant leg... open-carry?

Chris Phelps

I am looking to carry a pistol when I go out walking at night, because the area I live in is also home to a rather large pack of coyotes. Maine is an open-carry state, so I may not need a CCW for this. I was origionally thinking a tactical leg holster would do the trick, but the straps are big and bulky. Then I started thinking... what if I made my own holster built into the pant leg using a piece of material as the pocket, then a small strap that snaps into place? I know it would work good for carrying... but here is my question: Since the holster is sewn into the pants, thus making it a pocket... would it be considered Open-carry, or concieled? The gun would not be fully closed in... I would leave the grip exposed.

Thoughts?

Chris-
I'd have to believe that would be considered Open Carry in any jusrisdiction. From what you describe, no more of the gun is "hidden" than by an Inside the waistband (IWB) holster.
Rich

Chris Phelps

That would be outstanding. I work in a federal building, and I just went down and asked the guards... It sparked a big debate between 7 of them, and not one of them could give me a definite answer. One of them kept saying "the gun, in its entirety, must be showing." the problem I have with that statement is that I cannot think of any way to carry a gun without "hiding" a small part of it inside a holster. Even if I were holding it in my hand, part of it would be concieled, if you follow their description. It makes no sense to me.

azredhawk44

I don't think I'd try it.

I'd rather just wear a real holster. Your clothing isn't going to be as rigid or supportive as a good holster and good leather belt. The gun will flop and bang against your leg, and if you do need to draw it as some point, your hand may end up drawing it while the barrel is pointed towards your own leg!:eek:

Since you are talking about buying several different guns (from another post), the pocket you want will be generic, so it will not mould well to any one specific gun. It would also only be well supported if your pants were tight like bicylist shorts.

Chris Phelps

This will be for the Walther P22 only. There is a 90% chance it will never be drawn in defense, but its the 10% I'm worried about. Belts and holsters are out, I wear 3-4 shirts while walking, and they would cover the gun. This will be fine once I get my CCW, but I am trying to find a "for now" way to carry.