Pistol carbine conversion kits

Amin Parker

Hi all

I was in a gun shop today and saw a very well made conversion kit for pistols. It works without changing your gun in any way. It basically fits within the unit and bobs your uncle.

Its very difficult to get a licence for a semi rifle over here. While a pistol can never be a rifle, this is a neat conversion that could have tactical advantages.

Does anyone own one or have experience with them?

James K

Member In Memoriam
I assume it is some kind of shoulder stock for a pistol, which requires extra paperwork and a special tax in the US unless it includes a 16 inch barrel that somehow is part of the stock assembly so that you can't have a rifle with a barrel under 16 inches.

Some such kits have been sold, including one made by Astra in Spain that converted a .22 pistol to a rifle. It was not very successful, though it worked OK.

Shoulder stocked pistols are fairly common, the Luger, Browning, Lahti, Mauser 96, and others having been made for use with stocks. The problem is that unless the barrel is long, the muzzle blast from a shoulder stocked pistol is very bad and the guns recoil in odd ways so that accuracy is usually poor.

Jim

Amin Parker

Fortunately we dont need any paperwork to have a stock on a pistol. This particular one is very well made. I think its called a " Hera "

testuser

I'm not sure what other options are available to you, since I'm not exactly sure where you live. I don know the Hera is a Glock conversion system and manufactured in Germany.

It seems harder to a clear a jam from this system than a dedicated subgun or a pistol stock conversion that doesn't enclose the slide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvac9yzSh18

I thought about one, but went with a full auto Uzi instead.

There are several stock systems for Glock pistols that don't cover the slide. If it's not restricted where you are, like it is in the USA, then I'd just go with one of those.

Amin Parker

Testuser you are very clever. I never thought about the problems a malfunction could cause. It will be hard to clear.

I dont think i will be buying one of those units then. Thank you for your brilliant observation Testuser