Pistol caliber carbine- non-ar

cannonfire

Hey guys and gals,

I've been researching (somewhat) pistol caliber carbines, specifically in 9mm and 45 acp. Wondering if y'all can give some suggestions and stories to some I your favorites. I am not looking an AR at this time.

It will be for range use under 100 yds and a just to have novelty.

No real price range as I have to save up anyway. So whether it is $500 or $2k doesn't really play a role. I mean it does but for research sake it doesn't. Eventually if the platform allows it I would like to SBR it.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

tahunua001

my best experience has been with my 9mm AR15 but a close second would be the beretta storm. hipoints are good too if you can get over the looks and a semi heavy trigger. from what I've read kel tec are not overly accurate or as reliable as hipoints. taurus has a new one out that looks pretty neat but being as it's a new model and taurus isn't known for accuracy or reliability.

9x19

I've owned a few... sold several that I didn't really care for during the silliness this past year. Still have a pair of Marlin Camp Carbines in 9mm.

These use the old S&W 59xx or 69xx series of magazines, which are easy to find and reasonably priced (MecGar work great).

They have a steel receiver, with sythetic trigger group. Their weakest point is the factory recoil buffer which gets brittle over time. Fortunately there are at least two after-market versions of the buffer which holds up well.

Wolff still offers recoil-springs and Choate still offers synthetic stocks in two varieties (I have one of each).

Marlin Camp 9 with a Choate folding stock
MarlinCamp9FStg_zpsf874df10.jpg

Marlin Camp 9 with a Choate M4 stock
MarlinCamp9cm4simv_zpsce895ed1.jpg

Others:
Beretta CX4 Storm - neat design, and still in production.
BCX4paM3.jpg

Kel-Tec Sub 200 - folds in half for storage, bad trigger, not optics friendly without pricey mods
KTSub2000bsa.jpg

Ruger PC9 - Trigger pull is often bad, and no after-market support
RugerPC9mm_zpsa1b42763.jpg

barnbwt

Suomi M31:
SuomiM31_Orig.jpg

STEN:
sten_mk2_10.jpg

There's all sorts of flavors of blowback pistol caliber tube guns to choose from, the two I listed above can even be made easily (even cheaply) and work as well as anything made today. In all likelihood, the gun will not become your "go to" or whatever, so why not have fun with the purchase instead of choosing something so reliable and functional it's boring? (*cough* CX4 *cough* ;) )

SIG also has a carbine coming out called the MPX that is gas operated locked breech; should be interesting, but will probably cost more than most ARs. Brugger & Thomet also make the obscure-but-cool-as-hell TP9 which would be the SBR of SBRs, and doesn't cost as much as you might think, considering it's basically a Beretta PX4 Carbine in a MAC10 layout.
brugger_thomet_mp9_l1.jpg

TCB

afponiky

http://www.kriss-usa.com/index.php

Can't get a picture up right now, but check out the Kriss Vector!

45ACP, uses Glock 21 mags or hi cap mags.

Love mine, comes in package deal with an EOTech 512.

Package standard equipment includes an adjustable folding stock, top/bottom Picatinny Rails, ambidextrous F/S controls, custom flip-up iron sights, light receptacle cover for optional Surefire Executive Series lights, cable lock and one Glock 21 13-round magazine (limited to 10-rounds in certain localities).

The CRB is civilian legal with compliant models available for all 50 states.

Dimensions: Folded 26.5", Unfolded 34.8", Height 6.9", Weight 5.8 lbs unloaded. Barrel length 16"

The CRB with TacPac includes all the basic items as well as the TacPac accessories which include the following:

Single point tactical sling
Integrated MIL-SPEC Grip Pod Systems Bi-Pod (GPS02)
Surefire E1B 120 lumen tactical light with momentary switch
L-3 EOTech holographic sight, model 512.A65/1

Just a thought!

AF

Mobuck

I have both a Camp 9 and a PC9. I much prefer the Ruger because I just don't like the "in the trigger guard" safety of the Marlin. While the concept is battle proven, my personal preference is to not have my finger wiggling around in front of the trigger any more than necessary.

cannonfire

Thanks for the quick replies!

I have nothing against a 9mm AR but its already on my "I will eventually own this" list.

That Beretta looks mighty interesting. I'm going to take a look at that!

I really like the looks of the TP9 too! It kind of reminds me of an MP7. Do you have any experience with those?

I was looking at atlantic firearms and saw this

MP5 clone

Anybody have experience with an HK USC?

Chaz88

I have a little experience with the MP5, not the clone. It was select fire and fully suppressed and one of the most fun things I ever shot. If I could I would have one.