pistol caliber carbine noise levels

oldcars

hello, I am in the market for a pistol caliber carbine of some sort, and I am curious about the noise levels of various calibers. I have a m1892 clone in .38/.357 and with 38 specials its no louder than a .22magnum, and if I'm in a hurry,(varmint) I don't regret shooting it without hearing protection. I love the gun (and low noise) but I am looking for something with a detatchable magazine so on the fourwheeler and in the truck it won't be loaded, but its fast to do so. I also need it to be able to shoot cast bullets (sorry Marlin camp guns) I am looking at the Ruger PC9 and PC40, mabe even a AR in 9mm or .45acp, I might even try a Hi-point,1911/glock conversion or repo Thompson. I know that load, speed, barrel legnth, etc are all variable, but what is your experience with noise levels of 9mm,40,45acp out of a carbine?

rantingredneck

I had a PC9 and it was quieter than 9mm out of a pistol for sure. Hard to quantify it beyond that. I shot it mostly at the range with muffs on though so take that for what you will.

I do have an 1894C on order and will pick it up tomorrow. We'll see about that one. I plan to use it as a short range brush gun for deer hunting.

ATW525

I've shot several 9mm carbines and in general found the noise of the report to be less than a 9mm pistol. Semi-autos are generally going to be a bit more noisy than your lever gun since the cycling action will be making some racket of it's own. For instance, when I had a 9mm AR I could hear the "SPROING" of the buffer spring every time I fired.

When I was younger and stupider I fired a friend's Uzi Carbine without hearing protection. I would not do that voluntarily again. They may be quieter than a pistol, but they're still pretty loud and will definitely cause hearing damage.

LarryFlew

Kel Tec SUB 2000 is CONSIDERABLY quieter than any of my 9mmm pistols and uses the same mags as my CZ (SIG version of the SUB2000)

Crosshair

Nothing will be hearing safe without a suppressor. A subsonic .40 or .45 would be quieter by a bit from the round being subsonic.

I'd invest in a good set of electronic earmuffs.

oldcars

I never go shooting without ear protection (unless it's a 22 rifle) but sometimes I have to grab a gun quickly and would like to have the quietest thing possible that I would still trust for a big cat if I had to. Again my lever action 357 with 38's is perfect besides the fact that it's slow to load and unload. has anyone fired a .38 lever and also a 9mm/40/45 from a long barrel and could compare?

bamaranger

.38 lever

I can tell you that a .38 factory wadcutter, single loaded (my carbine will not feed them reliably) is tolerable but not recommended from a 16-18 " levergun. My roundnose 158 reloads are just as quiet and will feed, consider.......

some of your "answer" may lie in the chamber pressures reached by the auto pistol calibers you mention (9mm, .40, .45) the 9 and .40 develop high breech pressures, and that translates into louder report, comparatively speaking.

From handguns, the 9 and .40 are LOUD compared to a .38.

That would have to translate similarly, to carbine barrel lengths as well, to some degree. The .45 ACP is a low pressure round as well, but I could not say how it fits into our discussion.

oldcars

from what I have heard, the Micro-groove rifling on a Marlin does not work well with cast bullets, But I have never tried one first-hand

E.J.W.

Oldcars,
I have a Winchester 94 Trails End in 44 MAG.
I once dispatched a close woodchuck without ear protection using a 240gr LRN over a light charge of Hogdon Universal. It was no where near the noise level of a revolver, but that was with the low power load described. Jacketed rounds are louder but I haven't shot those without muffs.
E.