Pietta/Starr SA

oldwheat

I've got one of these that I may consider selling.... It has been 'antiqued' with Oxpho-Blue' & has some slight timing issues which I haven't taken the time to rectify, probly just a little bolt bending/tweaking is needed.....I know this should be in the sale or trade section, but thought I would put out some feelers here first......

ribbonstone

Even the originals had timing issues...so do the repros...but usually it's an occasional skipped lock, not a constant problem. Taylors got in some Starr parts at last (know becasue they contacted me about shipping directions...but the Starr and nearly everything else is long gone now), so fixing the problem might not be all that hard (but I'd get a spare hand, bolt, and a set of springs while you can).

oldwheat

Yes, an occasional skip just about sums it up....Actually, I don't shoot it all that much, prefer my Navy Colt's as a rule....Most of the time it's a wall hanger even though it shoots quite well.....I will pick up some more extra parts though, just in case :) ....

mec

I noticed Dixie has springs and other parts on their site now- a recent thing and must have come in on the same boat as the others. The hand assemblies are up in the 30 dollar range- pretty expensive.

I ran across the observations of a Civil War officer in ref: the Starr. His opinion was that the individual who had foisted the Double Action Starr off onto the government in wartime should be hanged as a traitor.
I'm going to have to get one of them and check it out.

ribbonstone

Mine had one good habit..was difficult to jam it up with fouling. Is no cylinder pin...the thing runs on two projections on the solid cylinder. No place inside the cylinder for fouling to get into.

But it handles about like an electric drill. Too shrt a reach to the trigger and a whole lot of weight standing well above the grip.

oldwheat

....Startin' to discover that posting in this forum is an art :D , can't rush it, lol....
True, the feel of the gun takes some getting used to, it ain't no Colt but I get some pretty good accuracy from mine, nonetheless.....

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have two Starrs, DA and SA, both in .44. I have handled the Pietta copies and can only say that I wouldn't buy one to shoot. One I handled kept dropping the loading lever, just while being handled in the store. Another had a selector catch that wouldn't move, probably because it was made wrong. Another wouldn't stay cocked. IMHO, no one should judge the Starr from the Pietta copies.

For those interested, the DA Starr is not a true DA. It is what is called a trigger cocker, meaning that operating the trigger cocks the hammer but does not necessarily fire the gun. There is a selector on the back of the trigger. In the "down" position, pulling the trigger cocks the hammer but does not release it. You have to release the trigger, insert the index finger into the space behind the trigger and pull the rear "trigger", actually the sear. In the "up" selector position, pulling the trigger all the way will cock the hammer and then the trigger will trip the sear and release it, giving a simulation of "double action" fire. The hammer cannot be cocked by hand; there is a short spur, but only for lowering the hammer without firing.

For DA firing, the gun would have been awkward and inaccurate. For single action, it would have been a PITA. I suspect the officer was not concerned with the quality of the Starr (they were considered well made and reliable enough) but with the badly thought out concept for a combat revolver.

Starr later made a single action, which was equally awkward, but was at least conventional and relatively easy to use. The government bought 2250 of the .36 caliber DA, some 23,000 of the .44 caliber DA and 32,000 of the .44 SA. The .36 model is rare; the .44 models, while they are not as common as Colts or Remingtons, are fairly common and often seen at gun shows.

Jim

ribbonstone

The originas most have sold prety well in the New Orleans area, are expensive and usully in collections, but the .36 Starrs show up more often than you'd expect. Have handled a few originals...that's a mightly lng cylinder in the .36 version, haven't measured it, but looks to hold about 35-40gr. of powder.