Pieta, uberti

briandg

Several threads, but I didn't get any ideas from them.

Both come in .357, 5.5 barrel, blue cased, and it seems that there is a fifty dollar premium for uberti.

.44 special would be nice, but I'd be a whole lot smarter to do .357.

Uberti seems to have a nearly universal approval rating, I think that piieta is also well though of.

My considerations are accuracy, mechanism, and durability, a decent trigger would be nice. This has to be right, out of the box. No gunsmith expenses.

I don't mind some rough edges, but not going for ugly.

I'm not intending to run through tens of thousands of upper limit rounds through it, maybe a few hundred a year.

Bob Wright

I have four Uberti revolvers, two from Cimarron and two from Stoegers. The Cimarrons are a .44 Special Model P and a .38 Special Navy Open Top. The Stoegers are a .22 R.F. and a .45 Colt Flat Top SA. All of these are very good guns, accurate and with very good actions.

Pieta got a bad reputation some time back, but from what I've read they seem to have improved lately. Some say Cimarron does offer a little better quality control, others say a Uberti is a Uberti no matter the importer. I tend to believe Cimarron does offer a better product. I did have a Uberti imported by Iver Johnson many years ago, ca. 1975, and while it was nicely finished, not too well sighted and stiff action.

Bob Wright

P.S. Just to whet your appetite, here are my Cimarron .44 Special Model P and the .38 Navy Open Top:

As to accuracy, this is about as good as I can get with those sights:

You want accuracy, get a Ruger with much better sights.

Last edited:

Real Gun

<snip>

My considerations are accuracy, mechanism, and durability, a decent trigger would be nice. This has to be right, out of the box. No gunsmith expenses.

<snip>

I hear ya, but I have reached the point of having guns delivered directly to my gunsmith, conceding that most are a work in progress when new or someone else's heartache when used.

I have SAA clones from both companies. I rate them about equal in fit and finish. Both came with heavy trigger pulls that were addressed with replacement hammer springs. I don't shoot them enough to be qualified to offer anything regarding durability.

My Uberti has a screwy safety of some kind built into the hammer. I don't know if they all do. I don't like it, and if I shot it more I would have to buy a replacement hammer to get rid of it. If buying a Uberti, be aware of this if it's a potential concern for you. I don't think they all have it, but I don't know which models do (or did), and which do not.

Scout

I've got a Beretta Stampede Inox in .45 Colt. It's an Uberti...Excellent in every way. Even the trigger was sweet upon delivery.