Pictures of hard case for handguns...

Rembrandt

Carrying guns to-and-from the range varies as much as a shooters choice of firearms. Over the years I have gone from soft side to hard cases.

I selected the "Zero" Aluminum cases by Halliburton, has a rubber "O-ring" that seals the case from moisture and combination locks built in. Cases are 6" deep to accept two layers of two inch thick "ethafoam" (archery target) material. Could hold up to six handguns (3 each layer) depending on size and layout.

Simply lay out your hardware on the foam and trace around with a pen. Inletting is done with a wood router bit in a drill press. Feed the foam block through the drill press. May need to do this in stages, cutting 1/4-to-1/2" deep at a time, stopping to check the fit of the gun. Finish trimming with an exacto knife. Silica packets are slipped in behind the softer foam in the lid.

It's been 10 years since I built the first one, no wear on the gun finish, no shifting in the case, and contents are well protected from moisture.

176423.jpg

Bullshooter

Wow!!!

That's some nice work. Kinda inspires me to get off my a$$ and quit using the $3.00 gun show specials for >$1000 pistols.

Dascoyne

Starlight Cases also makes some excellent hard cases:

www.starlightcases.com

Here's a rifle case I purchased. It takes 4 padlocks and has a pressure valve. I cut the foam myself. It's actually a 2 rifle case with a second layer underneath.

By trial and error I found a reliable method to cut the foam.
1.) I placed each gun precisely where I wanted it on the foam and outlined it carefully with pins (eyeballing it from above to make sure the pins were 90 degrees). With the pins in place I removed the gun.
2.) Using an ex-acto knife I made shallow cuts tracing the INSIDE of the pins (i.e. so as to err on the side of making the "outline" too small rather than too large). I worked slowly and made sure to always swap the blade if it got dull.
3.) After making the shallow cuts I removed the pins entirely and made deeper cuts that went through the foam. A good stabbing motion works well, but the little corners demand some care.
4.) Soon I was able to punch out a nice gun-shaped block of foam. Do not discard this piece! After slicing this piece horizontally you can reinsert it into the bottom of the hole to achieve some "elevation" so your gun doesn't "sink" to the bottom.

Here're the results:

f83eec25.jpg

f83eeb98.jpg

f83eebed.jpg

They make cases of all dimensions. Check out the website. These cases are quite rugged.

Attachments

• f83eec25.jpg
    f83eec25.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: