Pictures from Najaf

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
i'm in najaf now. i didnt think it could get any worse than the last location but this place is hell. there is absolutely nothing around the camp for 5 miles but sand. no shade other than the vehicles and tents. ground temperature will reach 170 degrees by next month.

The city of Najaf is nearby and that's our mission here. Come June 30th, it will be ugly. One vehicle was hit by an IED already and several times, we received rpg and ak47 fire. Last time we were here, we got hit pretty hard too.

There's only 1 internet terminal in this whole camp so I will not be able to check mail often. Mail to my apo will be forwarded to this forward operating base.

the air is so dirty here that i received a staph infection on my hand and neck. thank god there was a medic with some anti-bacteria cream.

son

Attachments

• chilling.jpg
    chilling.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 462
  • 50calround.jpg
    50calround.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 460
  • bored.jpg
    bored.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 495

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
couple more

Attachments

• duststorm.jpg
    duststorm.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 416
  • commo.jpg
    commo.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 450
  • guntruck.jpg
    guntruck.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 463

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
last couple

Attachments

• recon.jpg
    recon.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 415
  • sickler.jpg
    sickler.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 419
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 439

swingset

Be safe and thank you for your service.

Tho it looks like a crappy place to be, remember the crapholes our fathers and their fathers dug into on some god-forsaken foreign soil and that big old sandbox might not seem so bad! ;)

Pappy John

Thanks, Man. Stay alert...stay safe. And stay in the shade.

We can sleep safe in our beds because hard men guard the walls against those who would do us harm.

stellarpod

MAN! I sit here, air-conditioned, fat and happy, spouting my tough rhetoric and then I see your photos. Your photos instantly put things in perspective.

A sincere "thank you" from one of the unworthy souls back stateside for which you've placed your life in harm's way. I am truly humbled.

Stay safe and God bless you.

stellarpod

12-34hom

ArmySon

If there's anything you need that i could help with, be my privilege to do so.

My prayers are with you and all the others who are sharing this experiance for your safe return.

Best to you.

Charlie.

gifted

I should have gone to Afganistan. Makes me feel miserable knowing I crapped out. Oh well, if something screws up somewhere in the next year or so I'll get to go then.