• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Picture Question Again

WSM MAGNUM

I could not find the answer to my question in past threads or from search on posting pictures. So, how do I post the picture itself on threads and not the link to them?

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
How To Post Pictures (Windows)

At the top left of your screen, right above the "reply" button, you'll see "user cp" (control panel). Click on that. There will be a column of boxes on the left under the control panel. The bottom box is "miscellaneous". The bottom entry in that box is "attachments". Open that and you will see a list of all the pictures you've uploaded.

Find the picture you want to post and right click on the file name. At the bottom of the window that opens is "properties". Click on that and a new window will open. You'll see the picture's address (url). It will be something like...

http;//www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21226&d=116382

Now, copy that to your windows clipboard. Be sure to get all of it. Exit the control panel, go back to your post, and place your cursor where you want the top left corner of the picture to be.

Then, above the text box are your choices in font style, etc. There is a little yellow box with mountains & the sun. Click that and [IMG ] and [/IMG] will appear in the text box. The cursor should be flashing between them. Now, paste the URL you copied to the clipboard between them.

Hit "submit reply", and your picture should appear. Remember to be careful of the picture's size. JPEGs about 640 X 480 are OK and are big enough to view comfortably.

If the link to your picture is to another picture hosting web site, simply put the entire link between the [ IMG] and [/IMG] tags as described above.

All of this is assuming you're running Windows. (I'm using XP). If you're a MAC user, someone else will have to help you, but I hope this helps.