Picture - My Collection

Chris Phelps

I realize its not a big collection, but I thought I would share it anyway.

One pic to cover them all.

From left to right...

[unknown make] 30-06 - Tasco 4x44mm scope(passed down... I am the 3rd generation owner)

Savage 10FP 24" .308 (my newest rifle... took delivery on Saturday)

Stevens 200 .223 - Simmons 3-9x32mm scope(my coyote rifle... the one you all helped me decide on. That cheesy scope is going bye bye as soon as I buy my Sightron SII , thanks to Firstfreedom for suggesting.)

24" Heavy Bbl Varmint AR-15 5.56mm - Tasco World Class 6.5-20 x 50mm scope (I built this one from scratch)

Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm

Remington Viper 22LR - Tasco 3-9x32mm scope (held its zero for the past 9 years... huh.)

Daisy Legacy 22LR (My first rifle ever... birthday present from my parents for my 6th bday.)

Ruger M77 257 Roberts - Tasco Golden Antler 4-10 x 44mm scope (A gift from my grandfather when I was 10... He had owned it since the first year the M77s were produced)

On the floor in front

EAA Witness Polymer 9MM

Ruger MKII 22LR

08.jpg

Chris Phelps

NO. lol. We moved into this house about 3 years ago, and the wallpaper and area rug were already there. I haven't had enough time yet to redo the room. I think its Fugly.

On the rifle... your guess is as good as mine. I actually plan on taking 6-7 pictures of that rifle probably tomorrow and posting them both here and on sniper central. There are only two markings on it. The barrel, on the left side near the receiver, is stamped "Cal 30-06", then the receiver itself, on the left side, is stamped with the number "245". There are absolutely no other markings anywhere on it. the follower actually locks the bolt open on the last shot, which I have never personally seen in a bolt action rifle before. My grandfather refers to that as a "Military action", but I have not looked into it much more than that.

fisherman66

I'd be willing to bet it's a Mauser with the markings stoned off. One day I'm going to make my Mauser a honest rifle (the bore is trashed, and I butchered the barrel). No time (or $) for a custom job that in depth right now.

Chris Phelps

why would anyone stone the markings off?

I can't detect where any markings are missing, but I guess that could be chalked up to someone knowing what they were doing. If they were going to do that, though, why would they leave (what I believe to be) the number in the run of rifles? (cant think of the exact term... but this rifle would be the 245th one off the production line)

Chris Phelps

I took a quick look through the picture gallery. One of the few identifying things about my rifle is the safety. It is a tab which sticks out of the right side of the bolt, just above the handle. It flips up and down (from side to side). This safety is not apparent in any of the pictures on that site.

The receiver itself doesnt look quite right, either.

fisherman66

I'm not familiar with that style. Mine (large ring 98 Mauser) is like a window shutter or boat rudder, it swings on or off. A picture in the Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research forum should yield results.

Chris Phelps

hm, I just found a post on Sniper Central about a Mauser project... I caught sight of the safety like my 30-06 has, but it is on the wrong side! In the pic I found, the Safety is facing the left side of the rifle.

mauserrifle1.jpg

Chris Phelps

heh.. Well, Thank you very much for identifying my mystery rifle!

Now I just have to figure out how the heck that safety found its way to the wrong side of the bolt. :confused:

FirstFreedom

Yeah, sounds like a large ring mauser, re-barreled to .30-06, with a sporter stock. Or it could have been a Brazilian mauser, originally chambered in .30-06. The safety could be an aftermarket safety. If it has 3-positions (left, straight up, and right), then it's the original. If it has 2 positions (almost straight up, a little to the right, and right), then it's an aftermarket.

Nice start to a collection there!

Chris Phelps

deerslayer79 said:
Ha,another person owns a remmy viper besides me,COOL...

I wouldn't sell it for anything, either. I hear a couple of people talking about how they were done away with for a reason but let me tell you MY story. I have owned this firearm since I was 11. (I will be 26 this coming monday). I haven't cleaned it for about 12 years now. Not even once. I shoot an average of 2,000 rounds a week through this particular rifle. It will swallow any round I feed it, and it will love it. I can hold groups about the size of a quarter with it at 100 yards. Even without the cleaning. I throw it around a lot too... it gets dropped unintentionally while in the woods, It has had the barrel dug into the ground while being fired, exc exc. It has never seen the inside of a gun case in its existence. Yet still, it continues to fire everytime... no FTFs, no FTEs, no cycle issues, no accuracy problems, no nothing. The Tasco 3-9x32mm scope I have on it has been on it since I got the rifle. It, too, has never had any issues at all. I zero'd it for 100 yards the first night I had it... I used a spot light on the target, as a matter of fact. The sights have not been touched since, and it still holds a perfect zero.

If I didnt personally own this rifle, I would think it was all a ferry tale. What this rifle represents is absolutely remarkable.

BTW... the last time it was cleaned was after it had been sitting out in the rain on my front deck for a week and had started to show signs of rust on the outside of the barrel. Oops.

WeedWacker said:
Ok stating to scare me: A good start? How much is my obsession going to cost ME?!?

Your life, your manhood, your free time, your not-so-free time, your friends (unless they shoot, too), 95% of your paycheck after you have paid your bills (5% for food and soda), everything. I work 3 full time jobs in the winter so I can go on a firearm buying spree every spring. Last spring I dumped $3,500 into the set of AR-15s pictured. This year was the Stevens 200 and a Sightron II scope, the Savage 10FP with a Nikon Monarch 8-24 x 50mm scope and Harris Bipod, a Savage Mark II FV with a Burris Fullfield II scope and a Tac65 Suppressor, And a Stevens 200 in .308 with a custom 20" Heavy Bbl, Bell and Carslile stock Mueller TacII scope and Harris bipod. So far I have the Savage 10FP, the Stevens 200 .223... The Savage Mark II is on order, the Sightron SII scope should be here next week, the Nikon Monarch will be ordered as soon as I find a distributer who has them in stock (preferably one of my guys), the Suppressor will come after those three rifles are squared away, since it is the most expensive piece so far, then its on to the custom 308 project. I'm sure that before the end of the summer, I will have added at least 2 handguns and one more rifle to that list. When winter hits, Ill pick up my other two jobs again, and proceed to begin saving for next years list.